need advice to whether to join a hedge fund or a prop shop or to go solo?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by vita, Mar 10, 2009.

1. JScott

JScott

Statement couldn't be more true. That unequivocally takes option #4 off the table. And rightly so. Their are trading pros and there are trading chumps. There is no in-between in trading. You are either a professional or you are lucky. Risking capital that you cannot afford to lose is not what pros do, it's what people dependent upon luck do.

#31     Mar 12, 2009
  2. ventus

ventus

if your system works, scrape together as much as you can and trade it. if it doesn't, then you know what to do.

#32     Mar 13, 2009
  3. vita

vita

Thanks for the great advice. I realize how difficult it is to trade when your chips are low. But it feels more difficult to lose a great strategy just to get seed capital.

I'm digesting all objective feedbacks you guys spared so far. Thanks.

#33     Mar 14, 2009
  4. There is nothing sweeter than other people's money.

#34     Mar 14, 2009
  5. rosy2

rosy2

why go to hedge fund over a prop firm? you would get a higher payout at a prop firm and have access to better technology. also, the hedge fund is dependent on its clients so anything could happen...redemptions. there are many firms in chicago that would entertain your proposal if its real.

#35     Mar 14, 2009
  6. Surdo

Surdo

Nothing can be sweeter than to spread her legs and eat her in the morning!

#36     Mar 14, 2009
  7. Not if you can't concentrate while you're risking their money. When I re-evaluated a lot of things after I lost my job in a prop firm, I realized one of the many reasons why I think my results were less than ideal is partly because of the fact I think risking someone else's money clouded my judgement a little. OK, I said it was one reason, and the impact of trading someone else's money was not the most important factor, but I think it's worth mentioning.

#37     Mar 14, 2009
  8. vita

vita

You have a point about the redemption risk in hedge funds. Are there any of prop shops who specialize in Futures?

#38     Mar 14, 2009
  9. Nattdog

Nattdog

This system, as good at it may be, is just one system. A good system developer can come up with a number of good systems over a course a few year. As much as one feels attached to ones creations and feels pride/does not want to share, the ultimate purpose for any system is to make you money and get you to where you want to go in life.

Given your circumstances, how about this:

Study up on internet marketing, set up a web site, and sell this great system for 1000k a pop. Once you fine tune the marketing, That will give u the capital for whatever you want to do next.

#39     Mar 14, 2009
  10. Nattdog

Nattdog

I would forget Working for a hedge fund.

Unless you have a personal connection with the owner, most today are looking for grunts to put into wage slavery/pilfer ideas from. So many have this illusion that "hedge fund" is a holy grail of trading, which is a myth. Hedge funds do to tech people what most companies do: Leach as much value as possible while offering as little as possible in return.

#40     Mar 14, 2009