Need advice on where to start

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by maciek, Oct 13, 2012.

1. maciek

maciek

I am interested in coding strategies. But, I do not know where to start. I do not even have an idea of what type of code is used for doing this. I have experience with coding and I have a Ninjatrader live account. Could someone direct me at tutorials for beginners who wish to learn to code algorithms for trading. Thank you, any help is appreciated!

2. vicirek

vicirek

From the beginning.

You have to know and specify what is your trading strategy, then make a choice of platform and coding environment.

Algorithm is nothing more than logic expression of your trading idea built using software engineering.

From what you have posted it seems that you have no idea what you want to do and this is good starting point to realize that.

Please provide some specifics and someone may point you into the right direction. Algorithmic trading is a very broad topic.

If this is Ninja platform based than start there. They have lots of information and tutorials.

3. 2rosy

2rosy

connect to a data feed and orders API (ie. interactive brokers)
    subscribe to data
    add magic algo
    place orders

4. maciek

maciek

I am interested in creating a strategy based on Market Profile. I would like to test certain points which act as reversal points. I have been using this strategy in real trading. I have live data and a live account. I cannot connect my indicator using the NinjaTrader Strategy Wizard, therefore I must resort to creating some kind of customized code.

5. vicirek

vicirek

I think that Ninja offers access through C#. Learning C# would give you advantage and is widely used and supported. There are many books, tutorials and online help and Microsoft Express is free and they also offer tutorials. Keep in mind that this is complex programming language and environment and requires lots of work to master it but basic functionality can be achieved in no time. Unfortunately I do not use Ninja. I have heard that the C# functionality they offer is somewhat limited to access to their functions but I might be completely off. I have seen people doing market profile using Excel so you can google that too.

6. maciek

maciek

Thanks for the ideas. I will research this further