Need advice on trading computer, and monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by musclemoney, Jul 11, 2008.

1. jayford, here's something else I found on the large monitors:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000756.html

It's from 06, so the prices are way out of date, but I wonder if the author is right about the 24" monitors being the better bang for trhe buck. In addition, he said you may have to sit closer to a 30" than a 24.":confused:

#41     Jul 27, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

With a stand, you get "two monitors held up by one stand".. with them side-by-side, you get the same except for the space occupied the the support stem of one additional monitor. Considering what stands cost, that's not worth it either.

Other than the "cool factor", the only real justification for a stand is when they're stacked or you can't accommodate the placement any other way.... imo

3 or 4 monitors side-by-side works if you have the space.

#42     Jul 27, 2008
  3. I prefer one 30 inch as no bezel in between, and if zooming a window to full size, it will just fill one monitor rather than both. Just cleaner in my opinion. Not needed, actually, just what I like.

As for text, you can adjust it on almost any software, or just just hit "ctrl +" if cruising the net.

Two 24's will give you more space for less money, but not as "clean"

#43     Jul 27, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

That depends whether the application window covers more than one monitor. If the app window covers 2 monitors, maximizing will fill both monitors.

#44     Jul 27, 2008
  5. edil

edil

In my experience, it is best to view charts using the monitor's native resolution. However, the pixel size may affect comfortable viewing.

Generally the larger the monitor the smaller the pixel size and therefore the smaller the objects (text) on the screen. I find the best compromise for comfortable viewing vs real estate are the 22" monitors.

Below are the various monitor sizes and their native resolutions. As can be seen the 30" has the smallest pixel.

19 inch standard, 1280x1024, pixel size .290
    19 inch wide, 1440x900, pixel size .285
    20 inch wide, 1680x1050, pixel size .258
    22 inch wide, 1680x1050, pixel size .282
    24 inch wide, 1920x1200, pixel size .270
    30 inch wide, 2560x1600, pixel size .250

#45     Jul 27, 2008
  6. #46     Jul 27, 2008
  7. opt789

opt789

Buying monitors off ebay? Wow and I thought I was brave. There are so many things that can go wrong with monitors like stuck or dead pixels, backlight bleed, improper color shift, vertical striping, etc. You should be careful about only buying monitors when you are comfortable with not only the warranty but exactly what your rights are to return it. Also the most expensive Dell 20" is $289 so times three is $867, so I am not sure why you would pay over $1100 and then be forever limited by just one stand from Trading Computers.

#47     Jul 27, 2008
  8. bunkinc

bunkinc

I like the idea of the 1080p hdtv, but for charts only... anyone do that? Seems like it would work good for charts, but not reading.. http://www.annex-d.com/img/ikeadesk.JPG

if anyone does this, would love to see a pic of your setup.

#48     Jul 27, 2008
  9. What do you recommend? I think I laid out what I need to do earlier in the thread, and am open to opinions. I don't want to waste $$, so I'm open to suggestions. I've used up to six 17" monitors before, without going into "information overload," but wanted a cleaner set up. I'll note, the six monitors weren't set up as nice as what tradingcomputers.com displays. The monitors I had were "one here, one there, etc.," LOL!

Btw, I was using e-bay as an example of the "average" pricing of these two 30" monsters. Before I spend over $ 2,000 for two monitors, I'm going to check out the vendor thoroughly. I'd pay a little mpore to go through a Dell distributor who I CAN ACTUALLY GET SERVICE FROM when needed. Service is a rare commodity these days...

Again, I appreciate your opinion here.

#49     Jul 27, 2008
  10. Does anyone hook up their box to multi-HDTV? I've been hooking my laptop lately to 50" Samsung and it looks pretty damn nice. My plan in the near future is to create a cubicle made of 4 HDTVs that can actually rotate remotely around the La-Z in the center.

#50     Jul 27, 2008