Need advice on trading computer, and monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by musclemoney, Jul 11, 2008.

1. opt789

opt789

You are still missing the point, no matter how many times it is pointed out to you. Wrap around dual 30" monitors, are you kidding? How about just get a computer, most any new computer will do for now, and see if you can make any money. Every post I have seen from you with regard to trading futures makes me think you are in way over your head.

Just get a computer and a couple monitors. Max cost should be a few grand for everything. If you make money you can break the bank on whatever you want, notice I said if.

You can look at Dell if you want, the T3400 is the way to go there. Personally I don't use Dell anymore. Do yourself a favor and look at the Reseller Ratings for Dell vs. Maingear or AVA Direct. The only thing Dell can provide is 24 tech support, but who is better a firm that just lets you call during normal business hours but you get to talk to an in house experienced tech or a firm that offers 24 hour support at questionable quality?

A Maingear Prelude with an E8500 or Q9300, 2GB of ram, windows XP, DVD burner, ATI HD4850 (you can get two if you want 4 monitors), and a 3 year warranty is about $1600. That is the MOST you should spend, you can get less quality and upgrades at AVA or Dell if you want to spend less.

Monitors are expensive, especially if you go with large ones, so simple and cheap is the way to go until you know what you want (which you can't know until you have traded for awhile). Let me say this one last time: get the minimum you need, see if you can trade successfully (less than 5% chance of that) and then you can go wild with hardware like I did.

I have two of the new 30" NEC monitors and it is very nice, but I have them because I want them, not because they make me more money.

#31     Jul 26, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

Just do an eBay search for "Quadro NVS 290", and another for "Quadro NVS 285".

The 290s are newer and have 256MB of VRAM. The 285's are the same but have 128MB VRAM. I've used both on WinXP... no difference in performance.

These cards are very long lasting and reliable. I've probably bought 20 over the years and never had a failure.

#32     Jul 26, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

I scanned over the article.. basically "you should have a decent computer for trading."

Any computer today with a Core 2 Duo or quad CPU + adequate RAM running on a decent mobo is all that really matters.

Dell's new Precision T3400 is a good and easy choice and a base model is a good price guide for comparison to other brands. It has an x38 mobo with 2, PCIEx16 slots and can handle all but extreme requirements. (Don't go nuts on upgrades with Dell.. they have a lot of markup. But if you want to go with an E8200-E8500 dual core, or a quad core AND it's on sale or a "free upgrade" as they often do, that would be OK.)

Trading does not stress the computer very much at all, so going overboard on hardware is more likely to be money wasted... unless you have 15 DOMs open like Frank Thomas, of course :D

#33     Jul 26, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

I don't know whether this is new policy, but if you seek support for a T3400, you get a different department than for their budget lines. The Precision Team actually speaks ENGLISH and is US based.

#34     Jul 26, 2008
  5. I agree.

And, I'm like you in that I want the two 30" monitors, but don't really need them to make money.

I'm wanting these for my home office, as I work from home three days per week on average.

In my two other offices, I use two 19" dell screens with Thompson Financial data. Not an ideal setup for daytrading, but will work if needed.

Can you post a pic of your set up with the two 30" monitors? Thanks!

#35     Jul 26, 2008
  6. You're the Man! Thank bro! I have a feeling my wallet is going to get lighter soon.:( :D

#36     Jul 26, 2008
  7. Again, Thanks for the advice!:)

#37     Jul 26, 2008
  8. #38     Jul 27, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

No real benefit. Expensive. Not worth it.

#39     Jul 27, 2008
  10. That's what I was afraid of.

Do you think two of these placed side-by-side at an angle is an idea?

http://www.diguniverse.com/COMPUTER/MONITORS/DHHG281DP.html

I'd really rather have them on a stand together, but cannot find one that accomodates a 28" monitor. Nor a 30" monitor...

I'm only finding them holding up to 24" monitors.:confused:

#40     Jul 27, 2008