Need advice on trading computer, and monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by musclemoney, Jul 11, 2008.

1. I like the ("ergonomic?") 30" monitors that when put side-by-side, appear to wrap around you.

I'm no "computer guy" by far, but I'm sure I've seen two monitors side-by-side that were actually curved giving a "wrapped around" or "half moon" effect. I've searched the board over, and over trying to find a post from a member that had a link to a vendor with that set up.

If I could find the two "ergonomic" 30" monitors, that would be the way I would want to go.

I don't care for the stacked monitors as they make my neck hurt. The side-by-side two screen set up is what I'm narrowing this search down to.

#21     Jul 25, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

Used, off of eBay. The 290/285s will run up to 1920x1200 DVI. If you get 30" monitors, you'll need different video cards.

You might consider up to 28" monitors instead of 30"... many more video card choices, significantly less cost... perhaps worth checking out.

#22     Jul 25, 2008
  3. I never thought about used from Ebay. If you see something on ebay that stands out in your mind as something you would own, please shoot me a pm with the link. I'll owe you one! Thanks again for the advice!

#23     Jul 25, 2008
  4. Gnome, I stumbled onto this:

http://www.esignal.com/trading101/issue1/your_trading_office.asp

Can you translate it into plain English? I read it, and kicked myself in the a** for not taking computer classes in College! Of course, that's been a few years ago, when it was a DOS (I hope I got that right) set up in the computer lab. There was no such thing as Windows, and the net hadn't been "born" until my Senior year.:( :D

#24     Jul 25, 2008
  5. MuschleMoney,

Depending on how impotent speed is to you, you might want to consider using 2 PC’s, one for charting, the other for order entry. E.g. One computer runs 2 screens for order entry and the other runs 4 screens for charting.

I use a Dell with 2 3.2ghz quad xenon’s and I can have around 15 dom’s up on a fed day before I begin to notice a difference in performance. And then I use another computer for charting. Also, if you are going to run 4 screens on the same system, it is faster to use a quad card rather then 2 dual’s.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=2005088

#25     Jul 25, 2008
    #26     Jul 26, 2008
  7. An IT guy explained it to me that it had something to do with the cpu having to go back and forth between the 2 cards and it would be taking up cpu cycles. He demonstated it with the task manager and moving the mouse from a screen that was on the first card to a screen that was on the second card. When the same thing is done on a quad card, the cpu was less active. So that made sense to me.

#27     Jul 26, 2008
  8. I have the same problem. I also don't watch the stuff on the upper screens as closely which is the biggest problem. My current screens are just a mix of different brands, sizes, and bezel thicknesses anyway. Time to put em to rest!

I could use just a single 30, and a laptop (yes, you can now run 30's via a laptop thanks to nvidia or Apple), but I want two. More real estate than I need!

If you watch the movie "Iron Man", Robert Downey Jr uses two 30's side by side in his office. Cool looking.

#28     Jul 26, 2008
  9. Oh. OK. thanks.

#29     Jul 26, 2008
  10. yeah, a 30" monitor requires a dual channel card. more expensive, but you can still get them for under a hundred bucks, unless you get one of the the super high end Nvidias that run dual 30's. they have big fans, and require mongo power plants.

28's are the same resolution as 24's, so you might as well go for the usually cheaper 24's if those are the sizes you are looking at. they will both display the same amount of stuff, but bigger on the 28.

gnome is definitely the guy to ask about any of the technical stuff BTW.

#30     Jul 26, 2008