Need advice on trading computer, and monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by musclemoney, Jul 11, 2008.

1. tnc$ddc

tnc$ddc

I've been using an F-18 from TradingComputers.com for over a year now. I have it hooked to 8 Dell monitors, which I already had. This is the best system I have ever owned.

I would suggest ordering the 10,00RPM hard drives, if you're interested in speed.

I trade the ES every day, from open to close. I have had no problems with this setup at all.

I also own 2 Dell desktops and 1 Dell laptop. I had hard drive problems with each of them within the first year.

I intend to order from Trading Computers.com again, when needed.

#11     Jul 14, 2008
  2. I trade from a laptop with a big screen. Yes, one laptop. 33 ES points intraday Friday (per contract, NOT averaging down) and 10 3/4 today, which was a half day (felt like watching the Sopranos at 3 PM, so I did--felt I earned it). Having multiple screens is unnecessary and, as Austin has argued, possibly counterproductive.

In the old days I foolishly used to have screens set up galore to track every major symbol, NYSE-TICK, and TRIN. Now I trade the ES and, once in a blue moon, the NQ, and have a total of three screens. I focus on one-minute ES and flip to the other two as necessary.

When you focus on one symbol--focus like a laser beam--you realize how much you used to miss.

Imagine if a physician tried to treat seven, or twenty-five!-patients at once. Yes, it would be silly. Yet in many ways traders are like physicians in that we look for signs (and sometimes these signs are subtle, not obvious) of a market's sickness or health.

There is plenty of money to be made with ONE screen and ONE symbol, imo.

#12     Jul 14, 2008
  3. opt789

opt789

You need to slow way down.
    You have never day traded before and you plan on spending a lot of money on equipment you can't possibly know if you need or not. There are traders that are successful on an old computer with one monitor, and others that have huge hardware investments. Until you have proven yourself one of the very small minority of consistently profitable traders, and know what type of trading works for you there is no reason to buy anything other than a basic setup. I spent more on my individual computer and monitors than anyone else here, but I did not do it before I knew how to trade. I can tell you with some certainty that you are jumping the gun.

#13     Jul 14, 2008
  4. I greatly the appreciate the advice! I have been thinking the same thing all week while on vacation with my Wife and Sons. I'm throwing my line out in the surf (no big fish to tell of. The crabs got most of the bait.:( ), and am thinking, "how in the hell am I going to try to focus ALL of my attention on trading the ES, and some options occasionally with 6-8 monitors running, and not be just completely overloaded with useless information taking my attention away from the trade?"

It was a "Duh!" moment you could say, where a week away from trading, and buried in data, paperwork, etc., may have "put some common sense back in me.":D

Would you all recommend a desktop set up with two 24" monitors where I can "split the screens" into four? Meaning I could have three charts up, and another for the dom/order entry, etc.,

If that cannot be done (I'm not a "computer guy,":( ), then four monitors max.

I can run my RIA business through my laptop which is attached to a 21" monitor. It's always worked well, but is now starting to shut off without warning. I back up everything, but I can't have that going on with my Client's money. I don't trade actively at all in their accounts, as I'm a performance-based RIA (I get paid a % only when they make $ there are no commissions.) But, I think after replacing a hard drive once, and the shutting off it's time for a new one (it's four years old, and "been through it.")
    Can you all recommend a good laptop? I like the toughbook T7
    http://www.panasonic.com/business/Toughbook/business-rugged-computers.asp#

Again, I appreciate all of the comments, and advice!

#14     Jul 25, 2008
  5. I agree.

#15     Jul 25, 2008
  6. gnome

gnome

Just about any modern dualhead video card will handle 2, 24's running from a PCIEx16 slot. My choice would be Nvidia Quadro NVS... either 290 or 285.

"4 monitors" is easy too... but if you go to 6-8 monitors, you'll need to do a bit of planning ahead before you buy hardware.

#16     Jul 25, 2008
  7. gaj

gaj

gnome, you're an incredible fountain of knowledge and it's great that you're willing to share that with others.

so, thanks. on behalf of all those who silently read and learn from you...

#17     Jul 25, 2008
  8. Multiple screens can get distracting at times. I'm up to 5 now, but will soon buy a new system with just two big muthas. 30 inchers which will have all my day trading stuff on one, and a series of assorted other stuff on the other. nice and clean looking. One of em is going to double as a TV too I think.

#18     Jul 25, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

There are a lot of choices for a TV tuner card... either for PCIx1 or PCI slot.

I've had a few and am currently using an inexpensive but good one... in case you're interested, you can PM me and I'll give you the dope.

#19     Jul 25, 2008
  10. I appreciate the help! Where do you think is the best place to order these? Thanks again! Good stuff!

#20     Jul 25, 2008