Need advice on new trading workstation!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cosmic, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Which all confirms (now from actual use on your part) what I tell all my clients on a regular basis. Don't get caught up in purchasing stuff because it is 17 nanoseconds faster than what you have. Stop hunting wider internal bandwidths, massive RAM memory amounts and brand new blistering speed hard drives. Especially if all you have is software that either is only set up to run at one speed (linear) or, instruction sets that are only seven lines long. In other words, no visible improvements. :)

#11     Mar 10, 2003
  2. cosmic

cosmic

The subject line says it all: Thank you!

Today I will order a low end dimension 8250 from Dell, but instead of hunting for more performance from RAM&CPU side I will order a better display - so I can trade longer! :D

Have all a good day!

COSMIC

#12     Mar 10, 2003
  3. what changed more than the hardware and the platform that you moved up to was the operating system.

MSFT continues to kill the shareware marketplace by either replicating or actually buying the products and just like any good bloat-ware application, app them into the baseline operating system. This includes the huge concentration towards Digital Photo manipulation.

So, the OpSys took all your gains and dismissed them. There are a number of things to tune and tweak with Win2000 and WinXP to allow for much, much faster processing speeds that are visably noticable.

When they move towards the larger FSB (front side bus) then you'll actually see vastly improved application movement and swapping.

Cheers

#13     Mar 10, 2003
  4. So, the OpSys took all your gains and dismissed them. There are a number of things to tune and tweak with Win2000 and WinXP to allow for much, much faster processing speeds that are visably noticable.

what are they?

#14     Mar 10, 2003
  5. See what a local builder can do, you might save some money, the only way Dell makes sense is if you need a monitor then they will include one for almost nothing.

Computers are just Tinker Toys.

All parts.

My AMD 1800 with 756 RAM is great.

Running Esig fine.

Stay Away from BELKIN ROUTERS, I just had to replace mine with a COMP USA Router.

Belkin was defective or something - slowed my cable down in a huge way.

#15     Mar 10, 2003
  6. cosmic

cosmic

Does anyone here know a good program for computer system testing to find the "bottlenecks" in configurations? I am interested what slows down my pc & how I could change that...

Regards
    COSMIC

#16     Mar 10, 2003
  7. Dustin

Dustin

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

#17     Mar 10, 2003