Need advice on new laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maverick74, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

2. monee

monee

I would like to get a laptop also but with a 12" screen.

The 12" screens are more expensive than 15" though.

3. Spunky

Spunky

Five reasons to delay buying your laptop until later this year or early in 2008:

1. A new device, "solid-state drive" or SSD, will replace the traditional hard disk with a faster, less fragile drive made of flash memory chips like those used in digital cameras.

2. Also coming is a "hybrid hard drive" or HHD, which combines memory chips with a standard hard disk for faster start-ups.

3. More laptops will be using light-emitting diodes, or LEDs, to light up their screens, a method that promises to be both brighter and less power-hungry.

4. A new type of Wi-Fi wireless network, called N, promises to be faster and to have longer range; N capability will eventually be built into the new machines.

5. For Windows Vista users, another new laptop feature coming soon is a small screen on the lid called a SideShow, which can display the user's calendar appointments and new e-mails.

4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Spunky, thanks for the response. I always get trapped in this wait till next year trap though. There is always something better around the corner. That's what I hate about tech. It drives me crazy.

5. If you intend to use it for trading at all, go with a larger screen.
    A 14 or 15" wont have the number pad on the side which I find invaluable. I bought the HP 17" (link below) which I couldn't be happier with. Has a built in web cam, Altec Lansing speakers. 100 Gig hard drive. DVD writer, the DVD even has a remote control. Battery life is approx 2 hours.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...play&v1=17.0"&series_name=dv9000z_series

6. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

Get a MacBook Pro :)

7. nkhoi

nkhoi

N is already out
    [​IMG]

8. Not sure about the E1405 but I have the Inspiron 6000, which I got 2 years ago and it's doing ok - I'm not thrilled with it but I think it's pretty good for the money. Also, if you're looking at Dells check out the following website, they often list Dell coupons, which you can use and get a nicer laptop for the same or less amount. enjoy!

http://slickdeals.net/

9. Tums

Tums

one more worthy consideration:

Window uses DirectX graphics. The latest version is DX10, which is a quantum leap from the DX9 variant.

DX10 is in Windows Vista. (Windows XP is using DX9, and MS will not be upgrading it to DX10.)

To run DX10, you will need a DX10 graphic card. These are available for desktop computers, and will be available in notebooks soon.

If you are not in a hurry for a notebook (i.e. you can wait up to a couple of months), this is one consideration you should make.

p.s. not all programs requires DX10. Check your software for detail.

10. You're right but some technological milestones are more important than others. I think you should heed his words if you have the luxury of time on your side.

#10     Jun 3, 2007