Need advice on laptops for trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Player01, Feb 25, 2013.

1. that is from Dell?

#21     Feb 26, 2013
  2. oh well, I went back and read what you originally posted and realized you were not talking about Dell. But they wouldn't let me delete the reply because I am acting like a troll.

For crying out loud, I thought we were just talking about laptops. I didn't know you had to meet standards around here.

FWIW I probably know less about computers than anybody on this site, or the whole population of the world under 40 years of age for that matter.

I just know what works for me

and I have thrown quite a few computers in the trash in my day

#22     Feb 26, 2013
  3. ofthomas

ofthomas

no, dell sucks for support... that is from Lenovo for laptops and HP for Workstations/Monitors... :)

#23     Feb 26, 2013
  4. ofthomas

ofthomas

not to worry, my 3 and 7 year old know more about computers than most on my family... then again, they've been around computers since they were born and had their own macbooks for a while... and in the end, there is always someone out there that knows more than one... knowledge is infinite... that is how I look at it... there is always something new to learn, even in ones field.. :)

#24     Feb 26, 2013
  5. OnClose

OnClose

Thanks, I get the pink lines usually a couple times a day but it reconnects automatically but occasionally everything will simply freeze and I will have to push the power button to turn the laptop off and then restart. To be honest I've just used IB since the start of the year and I don't really care for it and have been thinking of using some other charting program. IB seems very slow to load and I think I have a reasonably fast computer so I'm guessing that it's a problem at IB but I don't know for sure.

#25     Feb 27, 2013
  6. You could try to use a seperate charting program and TWS/IB for order entry only. TWS charting is, IMHO quite crappy and slows down the whole platform.

If the problem persits, maybe the problem lies with the WiFi and/or Internet connection.

I usually get the 'pink lines' once every few weeks... for about a second or two. Getting them multiple times per day doesn't seem to be normal.

#26     Feb 27, 2013
  7. OnClose

OnClose

I do trade over WiFi maybe that's the problem would that also cause IB to be incredibly slow at times too? When IB becomes slow I log out and then back in, that seems to speed it up for awhile.

#27     Feb 27, 2013