need advice on broker + clearing firm + platform for daytrading stocks

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by CALLumbus, Jan 16, 2019.

1. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

Hi all,

I want to expand my trading a bit and start to daytrade stocks, in addition to my futures trading.
    I am pretty much a noob in regard to stock trading, so maybe you can help me with your input which broker and clearing firm and which software would be the best to choose.

I have narrowed my selection (for now) down to the following:
    - Lightspeed, clearing through Wedbush, using Lightspeed Trader
    - Interactive Brokers, using TWS or DAS platform (I read somewhere that IB also supports Sterling Trader now, can anyone confirm this ?)
    - Cobra Trading (I think they offer Wedbush and IB for clearing)
    - Centerpoint Securities (they offer Wedbush, Vision Financial, ETC and Hilltop for clearing)

In addition, I have read about "traderequity", they seem to be more like a remote prop firm, but they are on the Caymans and not really regulated. I could imagine opening a very small account with such a company, but I think I would not want to trade some serious money with them, even if their concept and offer sounds pretty nice.

So this is where I am right now, I hope you guys (and girls) can give me as much input on this as possible, thank you !! :)

Greetings,
    CALLumbus

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I would say Lightspeed Trader is a great choice for equity DT. I would also look at Realtick Express. On RT, you can access Equities and Futures but you will need two accounts.
    https://www.lightspeed.com/trading-platforms/lightspeed-trader/platform-features/
    https://www.lightspeed.com/trading-platforms/realtick-pro-and-express/realtick-platform-features/

For a demo of any of our software go to this link. Please say you heard about us from Elite TRader so I can help you. https://www.lightspeed.com/demo-request/

CALLumbus likes this.
  3. I would recommend Lightspeed and lightspeed trader if you want to trade professionally. Their software is world class and support is excellent. However if you don't have enough to put ( 25K for PDT account) then only consider traderequity . As you said with small account.

Robert Morse likes this.
  4. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

Thanks for your input RaghuRomeo.
    The 25K is not the problem, I will need at least 200k-300k buying power anyways.
    I read lots of good stuff about Lightspeed. What I dont like is that I can fund only in USD. I would much more prefer to fund in EUR, but most stock brokers dont offer this. I think Interactive Brokers is the only one on my list that allows funding in EUR and other currencies. But I am not sure if IB is really suitable for very fast scalping in stocks.
    Thats why I am here, asking for input. Anyone have experience with daytrading stocks on IB's TWS ? Or maybe with DAS trader frontend ?

5. Don’t know about DAS, but TWS works well for me for daytrading or just regular trading.

CALLumbus likes this.
  6. MotiveWave

MotiveWave Sponsor

There are plenty of third party applications that you can connect to IB for better charts/functionality, like MotiveWave.

CALLumbus likes this.
  7. How'd this work out for you?