Need advice for new trading laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OnClose, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Tom B

Tom B

#31     Nov 10, 2011
  2. OnClose

OnClose

Sir you speak the truth, I went to CompUSA yesterday to look at that ASUS and boy is it heavy. Although, the good news is if I did buy it I'd be able to cancel my gym membership:)

#32     Nov 10, 2011
  3. OnClose

OnClose

Thanks for the link Tom this may be the laptop I need. That ASUS was nice but way too heavy to travel with.

#33     Nov 10, 2011
  4. Open up a Dell sometime. They are a joke. Asus spends more time and money researching heat dissipation than Dell does on marketing. OP's stated requirements at the opening may be more than he needs. In that case he should re-evaluate his needs. If screen resolution is truly a need and not a want then the Asus, it should be noted has a removable video card vs on board video on the Dell. Not many laptops out there that spend the money engineering it this way anymore. Dell did at one time.

#34     Nov 10, 2011
  5. Eddiefl

Eddiefl

I have had Dell/HP/Samsung laptops, servers and desktops. I guess going back to 1997.

Hands down this company is way better. All important areas, components, build, customer service, warranties.

Look around the site a bit. Maybe a bit pricier than "costco".

BUt should treat trading like any other business. A surgeon uses a 40k laser scalpel, not a buckknife from walmart. Take it serious.

http://www.digitaltigers.com/

EF

#35     Nov 10, 2011
  6. give me the cheapest new laptop money can buy and I will still be profitable

hey, I'm all for buying quality stuff but the best screens or laptop isn't going to give you good entries

#36     Nov 11, 2011
  7. Trader13

Trader13

You make a fair point that success in trading is ultimately a result of talent and not technology. But technology is an enabler and should not be dismissed as "any computer will do". If you need to run backtesting on a large data set, then your computer hardware specs need to support this with a 64-bit OS and sufficient memory. If your execution approach is to automate your system, then your hardware, network, and power specs need to be fault tolerant for high availability. So there are specific factors to consider when choosing a trading computer, and these discussions make this forum worthwhile.

#37     Nov 13, 2011
  8. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

#38     Nov 13, 2011
  9. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

Who cares about heat. Also battery life is the same unless you're running intensive graphics, or encoding video. CPU's do not drain batteries, GPU's do.

Do NOT get a slow processor, especially at just $1.1k.

I also don't understand your beef with the keyboard. A numeric keypad is perfect for trading, and 'off centerness' isn't such an issue.

It's also not a desktop replacement, beyond a silly single monitor desktop. I don't think you'll mind the size very much... I keep my large laptop (smaller size, about the same weight) in a small backpack most of the time.

Good luck with your purchase. I don't think you'll find a better deal than that ASUS, especially considering ASUS is a tier one brand.

#39     Nov 13, 2011
  10. Trader13

Trader13

People who understand computer hardware reliability factors do. That's why computer data centers are thoughtfully designed to ensure proper cooling and air flow. Just Google "intel i7 high temperature issues" to learn more.

I said to get a slower processor to avoid the thermal risk with the i7. I would go for the i7 on a desktop or server chassis with better cooling, but laptops are not as well ventilated.

You do understand my beef, which is that I don't want to be off-center with the screen. That's my preference. I'm funny that way.

You need to read this entire thread before responding to individual posts. The OP later replied that he/she agreed it is too big and heavy.

#40     Nov 13, 2011