Need advice for new trading laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OnClose, Nov 7, 2011.

1. OnClose

OnClose

Maybe I should try that and just buy a cheap one to see if it works for me. I'm not a day trader so I may need a lot less computer than I think I need.

#21     Nov 9, 2011
  2. OnClose

OnClose

Really, I was told that I needed a i7. That would be great if a i5 would work it would probably save money and I've heard that the i7 runs really hot.

#22     Nov 9, 2011
  3. OnClose

OnClose

I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know what these are or what they do.

#23     Nov 9, 2011
  4. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

i5 is just fine. The real boddlenecks are hard drive (you MUST have a Hybrid or SSD - they're not expensive, upgrade by hand if the laptop doesn't come with it - tigerdirect.com) and RAM under 4gb.

#24     Nov 9, 2011
  5. OnClose

OnClose

The Mac is nice but out of my budget but I did find a nice ASUS that I think I might get.

#25     Nov 9, 2011
  6. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

What is your budget? You're not going to find any 1080p laptop for under $1.5k. As it seems you know, anything under 1080p is hell (and MBP is 1200p). Spend a few bucks and get something that will benefit your trading. Like anything else, it's an investment. Would you rather buy Kodak or Goldman Sachs? ;).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Box-App...ple_Laptops&hash=item4cfbaa84b9#ht_500wt_1156

#26     Nov 9, 2011
  7. OnClose

OnClose

My budget is $1200 (Max). This is the ASUS I found, what's your opinion on it?
    http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7124324&CatId=2511

#27     Nov 9, 2011
  8. OnClose

OnClose

Welcome to ET:)

#28     Nov 9, 2011
  9. Trader13

Trader13

A large laptop like this one is considered a desktop replacement because it has a large screen and keyboard. The tradeoff is that it is bulkier and heavier, but that's OK if you don't move it around too often.

I like a lighted keyboard. The description doesn't say this keyboard is lighted, but one of the feedback comments below the description suggests that it is indeed lighted.

The i7 CPU is fast, but also runs very hot. I would choose a slower processor that generates less heat. Problems with computers are often thermal related, so this consideration is a tradeoff between speed and reliability.

Note that it has a numeric keypad on the right side. This means that the middle of the screen is not centered with the main set of alpha keys on the keyboard. You can see this on the photos. I don't like that at all, since I generally sit centered on the alpha keys and that puts my eyes on the left side of the screen instead of the middle. You don't appreciate how annoying this is until you do it. So I prefer a keyboard without the numeric keypad, but that's difficult to find in the larger laptops which usually have the numeric keypad.

The warranty may require you to mail it to a service center for repair. By contrast, Dell offers an onsite warranty and they will come to your home.

Other than these points, this is a nice rig. The Asus brand has a reputation for high reliability.

#29     Nov 10, 2011
  10. Tom B

Tom B

This Dell XPS looks like it would meet your needs. You can upgrade to an i7 for additional $$. The link below has the coupon code and link to Dell.

XPS 17, Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-Bit, English Unit Price $1,159.99
    Limited Time Offer - Free upgrade to 6GB memory!
    Expires Sunday, January 01, 2012
    - $60.00

$150 off XPS 17 laptop with coupon
    Expires Wednesday, November 30, 2011
    - $150.00

Catalog Number: 29 DNDOKQ1
    Module Description Show Details
    XPS 17 XPS 17
    Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-Bit

Processor 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2430M processor 2.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.00 GHz

Memory 6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory

Keyboard Standard Keyboard

LCD 17.3" FHD (1080p) with 2.0MP HD Webcam

Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 550M 1GB graphics with Optimus

Hard Drive 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Elemental Silver Aluminum

Integrated Network Adapter Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card

Tray Load Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)

JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3

Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000

56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Hardware Support Services 1 Year Basic Support

DataSafe 2.0 Online Backup 2GB for 1 year

TOTAL: $949.99

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/274807

#30     Nov 10, 2011