Need advice for new trading laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OnClose, Nov 7, 2011.

1. OnClose

OnClose

I love the price but worry about the reliability. Although walmart is great about returns.

#11     Nov 8, 2011
  2. OnClose

OnClose

Lol, great computer but not in the budget and I've heard every Mac is now haunted by Steve Jobs:)

#12     Nov 8, 2011
  3. OnClose

OnClose

#13     Nov 8, 2011
  4. Asus. Infinitely better than Dell.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-G74SX-...76043738?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item4aafbdfcda

This one is more than your price ceiling, but I didn't look around too much.

#14     Nov 8, 2011
  5. I bought a dell inspiron cheapy laptop in 2005. Never had a problem running QT with IB and I look at 12 charts at a time with a time step of 6 seconds.

Moreover, I never had a repair until I sat on it and broke the screen about a month ago. Got it fixed for 100 bucks:D

#15     Nov 8, 2011
  6. Glavez

Glavez

Good build, very fast, but glossy screen with 1600x900 res...

Any laptop >4GB RAM and i5 will run eSignal and IB just fine. i7 is actually an overkill.

#16     Nov 8, 2011
  7. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

MacBook pro 17".

Screen resolution is what counts... While I like osx lion allot (First bought my Mac in June, always have been a windows guy and still am for desktops), you can just as easily run win7.

There are other laptops with 1920x1200, but they're all the same price as the MacBook pro top of the line, so why not go with the most acclaimed one anyways.

If you really don't need resolution, I do not recommend HP.

Also please get a hybrid or ssd.

#17     Nov 8, 2011
  8. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

By the way, since it seems as though you're like me and need that screen res, Apple's 17" has by far the best display of them all. Amazing crispness... I never knew how bad my desktop displays sucked until I put my new Mac next to it!

If you really don't want a Mac, the Asus 1080p laptop is great, but they're the same price and do the same thing, plus I think you'll love Lion - I'm amazed that I got to like it, I was sure I would use windows full time. Asus is also heavosr and thicker...

#18     Nov 8, 2011
  9. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

...it's also stupid to have under 4gb!

4 is a good number. More is fine, less and you'll have slowing problems with active mem and page file

#19     Nov 8, 2011
  10. Hello I'm new here at www.elitetrader.com.. Sorry, but I tried to post in theintroductions area, and it gave me accessed denied.

#20     Nov 8, 2011