Need advice for new trading laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OnClose, Nov 7, 2011.

1. OnClose

OnClose

Hey everyone, I'm currently in the market for a new trading laptop but with all the choices out there it's a little overwhelming. So I'm reaching out to all for a little help and with Black Friday on the way I need to decide pretty soon. Before you can help me you obviously need to know a little about my trading and my "wants" for a new laptop...so here it goes.

Trading style : Swing
    Hold times : 2 weeks - 2 months
    Trades per day: 0- 20
    Broker : IB
    Software : eSignal

Laptop "wants"
    Screen Size : 17"
    Resolution : 1920 x 1080
    Processor : i5- i7??
    Memory : 4- 6 GB??
    Blu-ray : Not mandatory but would be nice
    HDMI port : Not mandatory but would be nice
    Price : Under $1200 if possible

Thanks to everyone in advance and I look forward to all the help. Also if I need to provide any other info just ask.

2. I swear by Dell. Go through Dell Small Business and just enter your name as company name. You'll get better service before and (if needed) after the sale.

3. wave

wave

4. wave

wave

5. Glavez

Glavez

6. Dell Switch Black 17.3" Inspiron i17R-6206DBK Laptop PC with Intel Core i5 Processor, Windows 7 Home Premium with Bonus Your Choice Color/Pattern Lid Bundle
    $699 walmart :)

7. Glavez

Glavez

You don't need more than 4GB RAM
    Get the highest MHz i5 or i7 you can afford (highest MHz because most apps are single threaded)
    Do note that most come with Display Port or HDMI now days, no VGA. Display Port or HDMI can be converted to DVI.

8. OnClose

OnClose

I have heard that the Dell business models are more reliable than the consumer ones. Do you recommend buying the extended warranty?

9. OnClose

OnClose

This is good info, I guess my main concern with the new laptop is that it runs smoothly with eSignal and IB. I've heard if the laptop is not powerful enough these programs will make it run poorly.

#10     Nov 8, 2011