Need advice for new trading computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chaykapwr, Jun 4, 2012.

1. wilddog

wilddog

I just bought a T5500 from the Dell Outlet for $1239, Specs below:

Intel Xeon Dual Quad Core E5620 Processor (2.4GHz,4M L3, 5.86GT/s)
    Thermal Heat Sink for 2 Processor
    12 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (6 DIMMs)
    500 GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (7200 RPM) w/ NCQ and 16MB DataBurst Cache
    500 GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (7200 RPM) 2nd Drive w/ NCQ and 16MB DataBurst Cache
    2 GB AMD FirePro V7900
    Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (D) Sound Card
    16X DVD +/- RW Drive
    Genuine Windows 7 Professional (64 bit)

Keep checking the outlet, there are real bargains

#21     Jun 4, 2012
  2. If the mobo has 2 or more x16 slots, then yes.

#22     Jun 4, 2012
  3. I am happy to report that the Bolimomo brand Model T computer, 2 units made, ran without a hitch for the past 2 years. All from of- the-shelf parts bought from Fry's. It is not as fast as the Intel i7-2600k. But still decent. Only if TradeStation can get their act together to properly support quad cores with their trading software...

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=195662

So... for all the nay sayers in DIY and insist on purchasing a special "trading computer" from specialty shops... :)

#23     Jun 5, 2012
  4. c0l$il

c0l$il

Are you going to be building it yourself?

#24     Jun 5, 2012
  5. Post the system links [from seller]

How would you rate your computer knowledge to determine if BIY is right for you. I prefer to build my own, but BIY isn't for everybody

List your uses for the system, trading only or multi-use

# monitors you intend to drive and max resolution 24", 30" 1920p or 2560x1600

Then people can better advise you

No reason to overbuild, nor do you want to under build a system. No sense building a gaming system for a trading only station driving 2 monitors.

#25     Jun 5, 2012
  6. sorry if this is not the right place to post

My computer had recently power supply failure and a new power supply was fitted. dont know the spec,

My computer has slowed down. Could it be due to wrong power supply. ? I am running windows 7. How do I check spec for my power supply ?

Thanks so much

#26     Jun 5, 2012
  7. > If you want four screens, you need 2x pcie x16 slots

Really? Whow. Can you come here and explain that to the computer I have that has ONE graphics card capable of running 6 monitors? Please. Because I think that must be some sort of secret military project, you know. Or you just are a clueless troll?

AMD Eyefinity 6 - cards capable of driving 6 monitors, stock. If you CAN manage to get a 5770 then not even that expensive, but - sadly not that new. And newer ones with 6 slots are high end.

Also if the card has DIsplayPort... one DisplayPort port can drive more than one screen.

Alternatively you are left with higher end cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131474

Care to look at the nice 6 mini-displayport outputs?

So much for you need 2 cards for 4 monitors. 2 cards drive 12 (!) monitors. Not 4.

#27     Jun 5, 2012
  8. should start fresh thread

http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html to determine pwr requirement

You should be able to determine your PSU capacity by P/N specifications via internet

#28     Jun 5, 2012
  9. I have a 6 year old home built system that's still running great. All for home builds. But if someone asks my opinion as to what they should do, go buy a Dell!

#29     Jun 5, 2012
  10. No need to be overly harsh. mgookin is a regular here and often makes good contributions.

It is from a price-point perspective that I would, too, advocate using 2 x PCIx16 to drive 4 monitors.

Yes sure you can pick up the Eyefinity card. 1 card drives 4. 1 card drives 6. Maybe even 1 card drives 24. Whatever. But at what price? That should be a consideration.

I will pick up a cheap 8400 GS for $20 (2 monitors each) at any time.

#30     Jun 5, 2012