need a real economist

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by drcha, Mar 24, 2010.

1. drcha

drcha

If you are a card-carrying economist and you are able and willing to recommend a book or books to me, please respond here or PM me and I will explain what I am looking for. No wannabe economists, please--only the genuine article.

thanks

2. The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith

It was written in 1776 so it will take a while to get used to the language, but is a very good read that gives an integrated description of the workings of a market economy. Its a very long book though...1200 pages or so.

3. morganist

morganist Guest

it is three hundred years old.

the op wants a specific thing. what is that?

4. ajcrshr

ajcrshr

5. Doesnt matter how old it is...its still relevant free market economics and it works. Sure some of the job descriptions used as examples are a little outdated (like we dont have spinners, weavers, bleachers, ect anymore) but anyone with a little imagination can understand the basics of what the writer was saying.

Dont tell me your a Keynesian economist, Morganist. Keynes seems to work during its implementation, but the end game (or even mid game) destroys all economic progress with unnecessary beaurocracy.

6. morganist

morganist Guest

no i am not a keynesian or any other form of economic school. i am a morganist.

i invent new tools to control the economy. for example i invent alternatives to control aggregate demand or heterodox banking models.

i don't think the level of stimulation is even relevant in a lot of cases. there is a lot more to economics than all of the economic schools of thought contribute to. the dividing factor of economic schools is the decision of whether to stimulate a reduction in demand to reach equilibrium in the labour market. this is a very limited view and yet most effort is expended on it.

all of the debates are time wasting and in the wrong area.

7. Capitalism & Freedom (Milton Friedman)

Free to Choose (Milton Friedman)

Economics in one Lesson (Henry Hazlitt)

After reading these 3 you will know more economics than Ben Bernanke, Greenspan, and all those PhDs from Wall Street.

8. Friedman's theories are a failure.

No economic theory is perfect, but the best economists that describe what is going on today:

Ludwig von Mises and Hyman Minsky

9. volente_00

volente_00

How $hit works

by Volente_00

10. As a (soon to be) economist, here's the book that built America, and few know about..

The National System of Political Economy (Friedrich List)

And in fact, just watch these cool videos too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN8yPLaBVm8

#10     Mar 25, 2010