Need a program that finds intraday breakouts from a tight range

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by cashonly, Jan 12, 2006.

1. What do you mean by the word "Pick"?
    Do you mean if you are looking for certain conditions and certain stock which is not on that spreadsheet list yet, it will be added to list of symbols automaticaly if it meets those conditions?

#11     Jan 12, 2006
  2. Cash, try linnsoft. I used it for past 3 years and can catch those b/outs
    Their site is linnsoft.com
    I can help you with the scans

#12     Jan 12, 2006
  3. Well, it can't pick your nose, but it can pick your stocks.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Let's put it this way. I have the system set up with a basic watch list of 1200 stocks. It can do a lot more, but we're talking about me at the moment. Each evening, it AUTOMATICALLY downloads data from the trading day, based on daily data. Then, it AUTOMATICALLY scans this list for basic criteria I use for setups. Next, it AUTOMATICALLY creates a watch list for the next day, which can run from 0 to 700 stocks. Then, the next morning before market open, it AUTOMATICALLY open itself, starts a data feed, and begins scanning in real time for criteria that I have established for intraday tracking. When it nears an entry point I've defined, it AUTOMATICALLY alerts me and displays the stock on a chart and AUTOMATICAALLY draws a signal line where I want to enter. As it gets near the signal line, it, yes, AUTOMATICALLY will alert me with a sound alert if I happen to be in the next room or poolside. If I desired, it would also AUTOMATICALLY, via an API, enter a trade for me.

Now, I'm sorry to report this, but it will not automatically write me a check from my profits and deposit it in my bank.

However, regarding picking stocks, I believe that from the above you may agree that picking a stock falls under the definition of what the system will do.

In nothing here have I mentioned the software's backtesting function, which is extremely fast and flexible. But that's another story.

Now, while the system, as I have it set up, will scan daily data on an unlimited under of symbols for basic setups before cutting the list down for intraday tracking, it will not scan the entire universe of trading instruments real time intraday. One first has to make some basic decisions to at least some criteria of the stocks they are going to be tracking.

But I would humbly submit that if anyone wants to do a constant scan of the universe, even if they had the processing power, they might want to question their strategy.

#13     Jan 12, 2006
  4. All you need it to do is make your breakfast, lunch and tidy up yor office at the end of the day....and you've got a pretty good system.

#14     Jan 12, 2006
  5. Dude, why don't you give up and stop going zigzag and admit it works in same way as Radarscreen, but with less functionality, your answer didn't deliver what i needed to hear

Now, it's time to identify yourself? Whom do you work for because i'm reading to give a serious commentary

#15     Jan 12, 2006
  6. I work for myself. Isn't capitalism great?

And if you think that InvestorRT has less functionality than radarscreen, you obviously do not know the program, which is why I challenged your post in the first place.

#16     Jan 12, 2006
  7. Hum, You seem very polit unlike ET members bragging
    back, which gives me little more suspicion

#17     Jan 12, 2006
  8. Isn't that what a wife is for?:)

#18     Jan 12, 2006
  9. Good idea to always be suspicious of anyone, especially here. Don't you think?

#19     Jan 12, 2006
  10. It is unfortunate that you have chosen to bypass the very component which is responsible for ALL breakouts... Their is a BIG reason why Trade-Ideas has based their component on volume stats. Even better is the strong correlation between a bar's volume and its length (ie. volatility). It might be worth looking at the volume of the bars that precede those breakout bars to see if they tell you anything meaningful (ie. how to execute the bar preceding the bar that breaks out)...

Kind Regards,
    MAK!

#20     Jan 12, 2006