Need a disclaimer to avoid being sued

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by NoMoreOptions, Jan 26, 2004.

1. What if I sell my computer with Windows 98 on it?

Michael B.

#11     Feb 6, 2004
  2. Doesn't matter because whoever buys it will surely remove Windows 98 and install a real operating system. :cool:

#12     Feb 6, 2004
  3. This is a good question. There is something called a "limitation of first sale" that generally means that once a copywrite owner sells something, they lose some measure of control over what the purchaser does with their work. If I purchased a book and later sold it to someone, the copywrite owner could not prevent me from doing so.

The RIAA back in the early 90's tried to get courts to rule that you could not do this. They also tried to push for legislation but were ultimately unsuccessful.

The RIAA basically states that they are providing you with a license to listen to the music indefinitely. If you were to then try to resell the music, this would be a huge no-no in their eyes.

When I was 19, I had about 50 CD's stolen from my car. What I'd like to know is, since at some point I did purchase the license to listen to these songs, am I legally allowed to download these songs in mp3 format to replace what was stolen?

I'm sure the RIAA would say no, since they are merely interested in $$$. However, they also have said that you are not purchasing the medium that contains the music, but the license to listen to what is on that medium. So I wonder if an argument could be made that, although the medium was stolen, since a license is intangible, I still possess that since at some point I did make that purchase.

Then again, in the RIAA's warped view, they would probably sue me for illegally distributing my CD's because someone broke into my car and took them.

#13     Feb 6, 2004
  4. Does the word commercial purposes mean anything here? Regardless of profit?

Michael B.

#14     Feb 6, 2004
  5. Andre

Andre

What if I sell my computer with Windows 98 on it?

Well, I'd guess the convention would be to assume that the license for the operating software would go with the computer. Would you be running that same license of Win98 on a computer you were keeping? I doubt it.

Does the word commercial purposes mean anything here? Regardless of profit?

In regards to music, no. A kid across the street has maybe 1,500 songs on his computer. But he doesn't have one single CD in his bedroom. He got them all off the 'net with the exception of two songs.

He did not pay for any of that copyrighted material (except those two songs). Why should he have the right to listen to them and enjoy them, just because he has no plans to make money off them?

Now, as for those two songs... I happen to have a little record label. I gave him a CD of an artist on my label. He liked it enough. So he copied his two favorite songs, and gave me the CD back. He does have the right to have those two songs on his computer, in my humble opinion. But, he doesn't have the right to distribute them on napster. Just as I give out promo CDs all the time. If people want to take them down to their local used record shop and sell them, I don't care. But they can't burn multiple copies of the CD and sell them used. Or burn them and give them away.

André

#15     Feb 6, 2004
  6. What if I sell my computer with Windows 98 on it?

Well, I'd guess the convention would be to assume that the license for the operating software would go with the computer. Would you be running that same license of Win98 on a computer you were keeping? I doubt it.

So the sale of hardware makes the transfer of software legal?

I predict a disposable camera by Kodak in the form of a new software transfer product.....to hit the market. You heard it here on ET...

Michael B.

#16     Feb 6, 2004
  7. Andre

Andre

So the sale of hardware makes the transfer of software legal?

No. When you buy a boom box, it usually doesn't come with a music CD in it. But when you buy a computer, it usually does come with an operating system loaded on it.

It's about running multiple copies of what is meant to be a singular license. It's about distributing multiple copies of what is meant to be a singular license.

Similar thing, Aphex... I've got a CD I like enough, that got all scrached up. I've thought to burn a CD from a friend, and just put that in with the original package. Legal or no? It all comes back to scale, IMHO.

André

#17     Feb 6, 2004
  8. So if I own a bar with HBO can I play the game, for all to see? or if I have a cool video of Arnold.....can I let my customers view it?

Michael B.

#18     Feb 6, 2004
  9. My questions are sincere and meant to bring out the thought process about trademarks and liability.....

Please do not take my questions as being argumentitive or anything else.....

Michael B.

#19     Feb 6, 2004
  10. Andre

Andre

Well, was about to reply with a... you just don't get it, do you? But then saw your next post, which I appreciate, so thanks. Don't mind the discussion at all. :)

So if I own a bar with HBO can I play the game, for all to see? or if I have a cool video of Arnold.....can I let my customers view it?

On the videos, technically, I don't think you can. For instance, if a new video came out on DVD, you couldn't rent it, and then advertise, come down and watch it on our bigscreen. I do know of bars that have a selection of old movies. Some of this might be covered by performance fees that bars and taverns have to pay.

On the other hand, bars that have the super bowl on pay commercial cable fees, which take into account their larger viewership. Hotels have different pricing structures for cable, for example. Those establishments are not paying the same $49.95 a month for premium cable with ESPN and two movie channels that the single family residence pays.

André

#20     Feb 6, 2004