Need 6 monitors, new setup, will this work?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by omaha, Mar 6, 2009.

1. omaha

omaha

I posted here about upgrading a few months ago, but things wont work

I need a new setup, to play six screens of poker simultaneously. Nobody has answered me in the poker forums so i thought i would post here.

My old setup had an opteron 180 running it, and it was starting to lag a bit.

So, went to the computer shop and they suggested

Mobo GIGABYTE ep45-edsp

Proc Intel E8400 3ghz

Graphics cards 9800GT + 2*8400gs

RAM 4Gig ddr2 1006 KINGSTON (will be using xp, so will have a spare stick, basically 3gig costs the same as 4gig!)

Hard drive 2*150gig VELOCIRAPTORS (one for os, one for hem db)

BURNER LG dvd multilayer burner

Power 600W psu

Case Thermaltake m9d (has a couple of fancy LEDs which might keep me in a poker trance at two in the morning!)

What say you about my potential future rig, fellow computer nerd addicts?

Anything missing? Anything overkill?

Price is $2150 Australian, $ 1385 USD (excluding monitors, keyboard, nouse, speakers os)

2. I know nothing about online poker but ...

1. That m'board has only two PCI-E 16 slots. How is it to fit three PCI-E 16 graphics cards ?

2. The high speed hard drives are probably unnecessary. One 300Gb SATA drive should do the trick for a fraction of the price.

If you want a motherboard with three or four PCI-Ex16 slots you should be looking at the new Intel i7 CPUs. (eg GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 with Intel i7 920 CPU) Save some money on the disks and get an i7 box. You can have a 3x1Gbyte DDR3 memory config on these.

Get an external USB, eSata or firewire drive for backup.

3. nkhoi

nkhoi

4. Jegnyr

Jegnyr

If you want to save some cash you can run 2 monitors on your current computer and 4 on a new box and just use Synergy to seamlessly control them.

Plus you have the added benefit of not depending on one computer if one should crap out.

5. rosy2

rosy2

why do you need one monitor per poker application? I can run 6 on one monitor without an issue. i have a samsung 2253bw

6. Mr J

Mr J

Which site? It's been a while since I played, but even Pokerstars let you run 4 on a monitor. I'm guessing six monitors is complete overkill unless you plan to 40 table or something. Poker forum didn't answer you? If it's not 2+2, then join 2+2. Plenty of people there with multi monitor experience.