NEC MultiSync LCD 1830 - do they have a suicide date?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Old School, Dec 14, 2006.

1. I've got an older mutliscreen setup at home.

2 (two) NEC MultiSync LCD 1830's running off a ATI Radeon 9100 IGP card. I believe the monitors are discontinued.
    Last week, one of the monitors died. The screen started flickering and then poof...dead. It's about 3-4 yrs old.

Is this the normal life expectancy for lcds?
    NEC support said my monitor's dead.

lil' help?

thanks as always...

2. I have the LCD 1880 SX-BK here - they are 7 years old now and still running fine without a problem yet.

3. Thanks for the reply.

I think I'll try one of these walk in places and see what they say about possibly repairing it.

4. gnome

gnome

Likely nobody will touch your monitor for <$100, and for that you can get a new 19" Hanns-G, if you catch the $100 rebate.

Suggest you put your money into a new monitor with a new 3-year warranty.

5. Tums

Tums

take it to a TV repair shop. They can fix it. Usually the problem is in the power module, not the LCD panel.

6. Damn - when I bought this, I think it was about $500.
    I can't believe how much they've come down.

Thanks for the replies.

7. Motosue

Motosue

I bought 8 in 2001 and from 04 till now they are slowly going out. I costs about $180 to send to Mitsubishi to fix. Tel 800-446-6866.
    If you got any questions , you can call me at 80-946-9592 or write. I think you can buy new ones at about $350 or so?

8. You can easily buy most of the 19" LCDs for $175 to $200. Donate the old one and start upgrading, your eyes will thank you.

9. Motosue

Motosue

Thanks . I'll check them out. Yes, the $350 was for 20", now that I remember.

10. Motosue

Motosue

Hi Saxon22,
    Is the video that much better ??
    Thanks for your reply!!!

#10     Mar 16, 2007