Nearly Random Entry vs a High Probability Entry

Discussion in 'Trading' started by damir00, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Very good point indeed :D, particularly when many traders say the trending part of any market would be about only 20%, and sideways 80% :mad:.

I suppose it would be highly possible that during a sideways market (where a trend trading method would be probably unprofitable), a trader using any random (by whatsoever definition) entry together with competent money management skills might still make profits frequently, even very similar to (if not better than) many others.

Perhaps this topic should include the above-mentioned four factors: Profit volume, Risk volume, Long-trem reliability, and Market characteristics (such as whether a trending or sideways market).

:confused:

Just a thought!

#71     Sep 1, 2003
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Within the context of trading, it's not semantics. The fact that the outcome of a particular trade is unknowable does not make the outcome random, nor does it make one outcome of equal probability to another.

The trader must develop a system that has a higher probabilty of success over failure. Even though the outcome of a particular trade is unknowable and may move in a direction opposite to what is expected (the expectation being a result of the system), the trader knows that over n trades, he will succeed.

#72     Sep 1, 2003
  3. I agree. Now ponder on this:
    What is the probability that your strategy will eventually fail over time?

Answer: 100%

#73     Sep 1, 2003
  4. what a joke this thread is.

nitro, you know you are never going to open up a real account with this guy, so why bother making the suggestion?

dbphoenix, why are you nitpicking the definition of random???! i shouldn't be surprised, actually. is anything REALLY random?? for the purpose of this discussion, anything close to the concept of "random" would suffice.

#74     Sep 1, 2003
  5. damir00

damir00 Guest

then why are you still here, BlowUpBoy. :)

no matter. the lotto suggestion was excellent, in a couple of days i'll launch LottoBoy and without a doubt he will kick your sorry butt all over ET.

lol.

you're about to beaten silly by a lottery ticket, GG.

#75     Sep 1, 2003
  6. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Depends on how adaptable the strategy is.

#76     Sep 1, 2003
  7. answer this direct question:

true or false: do you believe one entry can be no better than another?

#77     Sep 1, 2003
  8. damir00

damir00 Guest

that's not the question at issue. in fact, that's not even close. do you want to try again?

#78     Sep 1, 2003
  9. what is it then? i didn't bother reading all 13 pages of this bs.

#79     Sep 1, 2003
  10. damir00

damir00 Guest

what, i'm here to serve you? do your own homework.

#80     Sep 1, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.