Nearly Half of Black Men at New York City Found Jobless

Discussion in 'Politics' started by omcate, Feb 29, 2004.

1. spect8or,

I all fairness...your right about somethings but he was also spinning the same old wheel I've been hearing since the 80's...

Therefore, my problem is not with his other comments...its with the below comments.

Take care and post more often even with the new (that new anymore) name change.

As for your stats...looks like it isn't just a black thing. :cool:

We can go find other stats about other problems in all cultures...that's not the point...

The point is this...there's a cause and there's a result of that cause...

I've gotten to the point that I've learned after 30 years that dealing with the result has almost gotten no where...

Lets try dealing with the cause and see where that takes us.

Lets deal with the guy that made the watermellon comment because its safe to assume how he feels about an unemployed black man.

NihabaAshi

#51     Mar 1, 2004

2. Blacks and watermelons? Is this something I should know about? I don't wanna offend the black kid at the grocery store if I ask him to pass me a watermelon. :)

Just curious, does that one really count as a racist remark? I don't doubt your friend took it that way, but maybe she was wrong?

#52     Mar 1, 2004
  3. As for your stats...looks like it isn't just a black thing. :cool:

But nobody here ever said it was just a black thing!

Can you honestly deny that it is much more a "black thing", though?

We can go find other stats about other problems in all cultures...that's not the point...

The point is this...there's a cause and there's a result of that cause...

Well, I wasn't finding stats just for the sake of finding stats, I quoted them because I find them highly relevant.

Yes, there are causes and effects.

Question: would you agree that the very high rate of blacks being raised by single mothers (not to mention illegitimate births, which I could also quote stats on) is a leading cause of the failure of significant portions of the black community to raise their socioeconomic well-being?

I've gotten to the point that I've learned after 30 years that dealing with the result has almost gotten no where...

Lets try dealing with the cause and see where that takes us.

Lets deal with the guy that made the watermellon comment because its safe to assume how he feels about an unemployed black man.

Well, again you are returning to oppression being the cause of all black suffering. That is what you are saying, isn't it? In which case I simply completely disagree with you.

It would be one thing if we had all this evidence that blacks were busting their asses trying their damndest to get ahead but ole whitie just kept holding him down, but there just isn't such (or very much) evidence. In fact, the evidence suggests that a significant portion of black America embraces a culture and a set of values that glorify the very opposite of education and honest, hard work as the ticket to a better life. A culture in which, in fact, if I am allowed to cite anecdotal evidence (as you do), such values are routinely ridiculed.

Now, I know you keep bringing up some "black conservative" movement that you claim is developing. That's all well and good, but I'm sure you understand that those aren't the blacks who we are talking about here, the ones facing these social problems; let's deal with the ones that are.

Take care and post more often even with the new (that new anymore) name change.

I think you have me confused with someone else.

#53     Mar 1, 2004
  4. As an African American I am not buying that logic. It does not take two parents to learn how to read. Nor does it does not take two parents to decide that a different way must be pursued.

Yes, there is a quite republican swing happening. But the true swing is in the direction of not participating at all with the political process. Jesse is not the monolith controller of the past. Education has lessened his effectiveness. The lock step of the African American community is no longer that smooth.

We are constantly challenging each other now to find another way. A way that they can control on their own. One of the major points that I try to get over to the community is that you don't want a job position that can be swayed by which party is in power. There is an effort being made to help our own. Those who try.

Encouragement to have their own business is the new battle cry. And many who no longer are going to the government well for a check are being used statistically by the democratic party as "folks no longer getting checks" or "they are people no longer looking for jobs." Personally, personal preparation for life after school is needed to be addressed to plug this growing hole. Less rapping, more reading! :)

#54     Mar 1, 2004
  5. Hi spect8or,

I actually wasn't present when the comment was made...

However, I trust my friend and she's a very good judge of body language...

accordingly to her when the guy made the comment his body posture was intimidating and aggressive.

(Note: He has made other comments about other cultures just not anymore directed towards her.)

I'm not calling the guy a KKK member...I'm just saying that racial remarks that are designed to belittle, intimidate, perpetuate stereotypes shouldn't be tolerated especially in a work environment.

Yes...to some blacks...watermellon comments, swinging from the trees comments, hey boy comments to an adult black man can be offensive to some while not offensive to others.

I guess is how its said that will determin if someone is just kidding around or being very serious.

Here's a fact...I quit the Jr. National when I was a teenager in a particular sport after I and a few black athletes failed to get the dismisal of a coach that referred to the black athletes with words like...

"come here boy" eventhough he referred to white athletes by their first name.

His body language had a completely different posture...very negative when he talked to the black athletes in comparison to the white athletes.

After I left the time...I heard he stopped saying "come here boy" but would only use his whistle or gesture for them to come to him...weird.

However...he eventually lost his job over another incident...racial related (the n word)...such was covered up and his public dismisal was due to misuse of funds.

When he was gone...I returned to the team.

Like I said...I wasn't there when that guy made the watermellon comment but she was and she saw his body language or demeanor when he made that comment.

In all fairness...I do have a friend that was raised in the south and he's not offended by the watermellon comment as long as the person comes across as just kidding around.

Yet...I'm in no position to tell someone what should be offensive or not to them.

Edited In: I didn't see your other comments prior to posting the above...

No...I'm referring to each individual event that someone attempts to oppress someone...not a one size fit all event.

It's the reason why I brought up specific stories about my personal experience...each has a possible resolution and such cannot be applied to other oppression situations because the cause may be different.

I agree with one thing but not the other. Don't underestimate how hard blacks are working nor the evidence and such evidence isn't in some stats.

Tons of evidence...depends on if you want to see it...

Reminder: I'm from a poor background and went to college with others just like me...there's lots of evidence.

Find the real stats within the quoted stats we see in books, magazines, newspapers et cetera...

There's individual stories there that needs individual resolutions.

This is true but not the norm among black adults but is the norm among black youths...just the same in other cultures...

I've actually done my own survey of street kids to support the above fact.

Yes...I know...it's not real stats because I didn't test all of America :cool:

No claim...its here and they understand the words..."take responsiblity".

That's the problem...the ones with the problem needs education, mentoring and so far...I'm starting to see a certain type step up to the plate and offer guidance.

Therefore, groups like the Black Conservatives and others are getting involved...

I grew up for awhile in Chicago...I can name a dozen black, hispanic and white kids that are no longer on the streets causing trouble, no longer unemployed, no longer uneducated...simply via mentor programs in the Chicago area.

My point...there is a way for some to resolve one particular social problem in America and I have relatives that have benefited directly from such mentor programs and one is currently an engineer student at the Univ of Michigan that will be graduating this year (took her 5 years).

Like I said...one size doesn't fit all...

Maybe its time to deal with each incident that's a social problem, offer individual resolutions...

Only time will tell if this grows into something larger and hopefully the dots are connected across America.

Good night.

P.S. Most youths...regardless of color of skin do not glorified education and honest work :cool:

NihabaAshi

#55     Mar 1, 2004
  6. canyonman - That is an encouraging post.

IMHO there needs to be a committment to greater morality so that any economic advances won't be lost or squandered by immoral behavior. This is true of any culture. In my experience of 25+ years of working with minority people groups when the morality improved the economic well being would follow. But if the economics came first the people tended to revert to their old ways and squander their gains. A group of bankers just returned from a former communist country where they had gone to try to help with their banking system. Their conclusion was that until there was a moral change in the people toward honesty the system as planned (like ours) would not work.

#56     Mar 1, 2004
  7. that's what slamma said.

If Nih stopped trying so hard to be the sixth man he might be recognize the cure is probably a lot better than the disease.

#57     Mar 1, 2004
  8. nitro

nitro

Have you guys ever seen that movie with Tony Lee Curtis where she changes bodies with her daughter?

Oh what I would give for that to really take place between a white man and a black man, or a man and a woman, or a jew and a palestinian, etc etc etc...

All the philosophizing would come to an end, and real understanding would happen.

nitro

#58     Mar 1, 2004
  9. Tony Lee Curtis?

[​IMG]

#59     Mar 1, 2004
  10. Better movie (forgot the name) was about the guy who colored his skin black to get into Harvard Law. Funny and poignant.

#60     Mar 1, 2004