Nearly all U.S. exporters are small businesses

Discussion in 'Economics' started by dealmaker, Mar 29, 2017.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

Nearly all U.S. exporters are small businesses
    An astonishing 97 percent of all U.S. companies that export products are actually small businesses. That’s according to new research by SCORE, a nonprofit association for small businesses. Data gathered by SCORE reveals U.S. companies that export grow faster and are nearly 8.5 percent less likely to go out of business than non-exporting ones. About 26 percent of companies that trade internationally significantly outperform their market. (Small Biz Trends)

2. Mtrader

Mtrader

Wait till Trump starts taxing imported goods. Other countries will do the same and the exporting US companies will have 50% more chances to get out of business. That's how Trump wants to increase employment in the US.

dealmaker likes this.
  3. Mine is one , autos to Russia , but it's slow now,

4. Wow, that's really a very interesting fact.

5. Do we export more than we import?

6. Sig

Sig

Like many times a statistic is used to push a point of view, this one is most probably deceiving. If 100,000 small companies all export $1000 in product each, while Boeing exports $1B, then while it's true the majority of exporters are small businesses, the majority of exports aren't done by small business.
    You run into this effect any time you talk about small businesses. Because almost by definition there will be many hundreds of small businesses for every one large business, they account for the majority of companies doing almost anything, i.e. there are more small businesses buying computers than large businesses, there are more small businesses paying taxes than large businesses, there are more small businesses going out of business than large businesses..... But in almost every case when you switch to talking about the actual numbers that matter (absolute number of computers purchased, dollars paid in taxes...) it turns into the opposite story.
    I'm an entrepreneur, I love small businesses...but I hate intellectually dishonest use of statistics by people who know, or at least should know, better.

piezoe, JackRab and java like this.
  7. JackRab

JackRab

This doesn't say anything, but that most companies ARE small businesses...

upload_2017-3-30_14-45-46.png

It would be more interesting to show the $-number of exports by small business exporters compared to total exports.

8. JackRab

JackRab

@Sig, it's funny how the media always tries to put a story out there by mis-using statistical info.

And it works... most people have a brain the size of a peanut so they don't question any facts...
    whether misused or not....

9. dealmaker

dealmaker

10. Koch Industries with their 70,000 employed workforce is classified as a small business.
    KKR, with roughly $98 billion AUM, is classified as a small business.
    Some MLP's are classified as a small business.

Some of you don't know what the heck a small business is.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    #10     Apr 5, 2017