Near the peak of capitalism?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by cgtrader, Mar 20, 2007.

1. I can't help to think while driving around my city:

What happens when I have 3 Wal-Marts, 2 Costcos, 5 McDonalds, and 10 Starbucks all within a 15 minute drive of my house?(I know this is the case for many already)

Where is all the growth going to come from?

It can't all come from emerging markets can it?

* In low-income countries more than a third of the population is under age 15, while in high-income countries less than a fifth is.
    * The world’s population is growing by 200,000 people a day.
    * Between 1980 and 2030, the population of low- and middle-income countries will more than double -- to 7.0 billion, compared with 1 billion for high-income countries.
    * In the next 35 years, 2.5 billion people will be added to the current population of 6 billion.

Maybe this emerging market story is way bigger than I ever thought...

2. In all seriousness, I'm not sure the planet can take another 2.5 million people without a global catastrophe or something.

3. Lets start another genocide.

That is why I propose to neutralize (for the lack of a better word) hippies.

Who is with me?????

PS I think, you meant Billion. 2.5 million will be reached in 12.5 days.

4. Does Africa want KFC?

5. gnome

gnome

The earth is a closed biological ecosystem. We will populate until either (1) we overgrow our ability to feed ourselves and we all die from starvation, or (2) our own wastes reach toxic levels and kill us. Maybe a combination of the two.

Just look at the air and water pollution in China... global warming, too.

6. Dude, take an aspirin and get some rest.

7. Nah, Popeye's.

8. They are depending on us to borrow more money and buy infinite more stuff from them. Some of us can even be employed selling it to each other in the process. It has nothing to do with emerging markets except it provides them with jobs producing all the things for us to buy, and lending us the rope to hang ourselves in debt with. don't worry, we don't actually need to borrow the money. Our government is doing it for us.

Its a "virtuous circle" I tell you. It works just like a perpetual motion machine as long as they lend, we borrow, they make and we consume.

9. There is no question, the growth and consumption logic is wrong and unsustainable. At some point
    it will need to change. How much more do we need to consume ? Just an example, Why do we need new computers, new software ? We don't, yet the industry keeps flooding the market with new gadgets we don't need because they have to in order to grow and satisfy Wall Street, keep the stock and the exec's paychecks up, and limit layoffs .
    It's all nonsense when you think of it, same with all these new car models and fashion. They want us to buy new stuff and throw the old stuff away even if it' still good. Meanwhile, junkyards keep getting bigger. And then you have a few billions in developing countries who want the exact same lifestyle.

#10     Mar 21, 2007