Near Death Experiences (NDE's)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ShoeshineBoy, Jan 27, 2004.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

easy, nice people let you come back, bad people don't.

#71     Jan 28, 2004
  2. Cutten

Cutten

Obviously we don't have enough information to account for it. In the same way, we can't account for many other phenomena involving the brain - it is a little-understood organ, due to its huge complexity.

I think what many sceptics object to is the immediate assumption that this in some way amounts to evidence of the afterlife or spiritual life separate from the body. IMO that line of argument is no different from witch doctors and shamen saying that fire was a deity, exploiting the fact that people at that time did not understand combustion.

You also pose what I call the "question fallacy". I.e. you ask a question, and the fact that we do not know the answer is somehow supposed to be evidence in favour of your particular belief. Of course if a sceptic asks a question about your belief, which cannot be answered, then this does not shake your belief at all - a curious double standard.

To clarify - just because we do not understand something scientifically or otherwise, does not mean it is spiritual, religious, mystical, or anything else. This goes for NDEs, hallucinations, dreams, subconscious inferences & coincidences (e.g. asking about the brother's foot, anticipating a phone call before it is placed), the origins of life and the universe, the aesthetic appeal of nature, and so on. Imagine if someone 3000 years ago had said "ah, but how do you account for the existence of the wind? And all that thunder and lightning, that cannot be explained by your science. Clearly it must be the work of god!" That is what you are doing now, except because we now understand wind and weather patterns to some degree, you fall back on other unknown and under-researched areas. It is pure sophistry.

#72     Jan 29, 2004
  3. Maybe that partially accounts for your willingness to accept that which is inscrutable and faith-based. You regard the materialist angle as simple when in fact it is complex.

#73     Jan 29, 2004
  4. Absolutely. I have said several times that my beliefs are not based primarilly on science - although I believe theism is supported well by science - but on both faith and the spiritual/supernatural.

#74     Jan 29, 2004
  5. That's great - I respect your viewpoint. My whole point in all of these threads is to show that those who believe in the supernatural/spiritual do have their reasons. You may not think that they're that solid and that's fine. Again, I can respect your coming from a different angle.

But I think that many of the materialists think that those who believe in the continuation of the soul and an afterlife have absolutely no reasons for their belief. I am simply saying that there is much to discuss and think about, that is it's not as patently obvious as some of the materialist posters like to assume.

And, actually, I try to ask questions so as not to be too pushy not to be a logician. Again, I'm not offereing this as proof, just as something more important to talk about besides the weather!

#75     Jan 29, 2004