Near Death Experiences (NDE's)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ShoeshineBoy, Jan 27, 2004.

1. I've met the devil.

Satan was a cool chick....

Wait that was my ex...

:D

#51     Jan 27, 2004
  2. Sounds like a Near Death Experience to me....

#52     Jan 27, 2004
  3. Turok

Turok

>Also, as I said 15% of NDErs have a very
    >negative experience.

I'd be surprised if ALL of them didn't have a negative experience.

JB

#53     Jan 27, 2004

4. interesting, shoeshine. perhaps there is more to the phenomena. i'll try to keep an open mind. did your friend fight the "dark figures" ??

best,

surfer:)

#54     Jan 27, 2004
  5. From what I've read for most it is mostly a profound and "positive" experience. Many no longer fear death. Child experiencers generally have long lasting careers, long lasting marriages and high church attendance compared to the general population.

#55     Jan 27, 2004
  6. Nope - there was no fighting it. It was the classic dark figures leading someone downward into "the pit". Again, this was terrifying for her because she was a Christian.

According to one researcher, those who have a lot of fear regarding the afterlife are much more likely to have a negative NDE experience. If that's true, that potentially supports my hypothesis that the first part of the NDE experience is preset archetypal subconscious and/or spiritual imagery...

But I can tell you that if I had told this person what I just wrote, she would have been very offended and would absolutely have insisted it was real!

#56     Jan 27, 2004
  7. Turok

Turok

Me:
    >I'd be surprised if ALL of them didn't have a
    >negative experience.

Shoe:
    >From what I've read for most it is mostly
    >a profound and "positive" experience

It was a play on words relating to the fact that they had been near death...not someplace we usually wish to spend much time.

And on the serious side, I would somewhat expect people who have been near death to have fuller lives then others whence returned. I think even being closely involved in someone elses death can inspire one regarding what is important in life.

JB

#57     Jan 27, 2004
  8. One nice thing about NDE research: the researchers are generally very qualified and to me seem honest about (as far as one can tell) in revealing weaknesses.

Example: one researcher admitted the ketamine results freely but then showed why he/she thought it did not invalidate the research he/she had done. To me it seems very nonsensational, but then I'm not a materialist...

#58     Jan 27, 2004
  9. True. Of course I'm sure that plays a significant factor. Near death for anyone is a "wake up call".

But the impressions I get is that the NDE experience is the prime mover...

#59     Jan 27, 2004
  10. Turok

Turok

>But the impressions I get is that the NDE experience
    >is the prime mover...

I was intimately involved in a friends death a few years ago. After a bit of paralysis, believe me...it was a prime mover.

JB

#60     Jan 27, 2004