NBC has an Erin Burnett problem

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Mup, Feb 2, 2009.

1. If it's the choice of a plain ticker with Gaspipe talking or Erin talking I'll take Erin. I don't listen much but she's... Oh wait, sexist thought omitted. :)

#11     Feb 2, 2009
  2. Jachyra

Jachyra

I thought she made a great point. A lot of these large companies have dozens, if not hundreds of different divisions, departments, and or/subsidiaries. A lot of times these subsidiaries are even legally organized as separate companies that are owned by the same parent/holding company. And quite often the bonuses that they're entitled to (sometimes even contractually) are based on whether or not goals are met on a departmental/subsidiary level. So if you work 15 hour days for Merrill Lynch's Mergers & Acquisitions division, and that subsidiary made money and hit all of their goals, and based on your employment contract you're entitled to a bonus or some sort of compensation for hitting those goals and doing what was expected of you, why should you be forced to not get what was not only promised to you, but what you've rightfully earned just because one of the other subsidiaries like the Proprietary Trading Division just happened to do a terrible job and lose money.

If one of these highly critical TV personalities on some of the other news channels had a provision in their contract that entitled them to a bonus if their show was able to pull in a certain level of viewer ratings, I doubt they would take too kindly to not being paid just because the network or the parent company had other business subsidiaries that lost money by no fault of their own.

#12     Feb 2, 2009
  3. harkm

harkm

The payment structure has to change because the word "bonus" has a negative connotation. I know a guy who works for Morgan Stanley as a money market rep and he was telling me that his bonus is nothing more than a salary structure and he shouldn't have his salary cut because government forced money upon the company.

#14     Feb 2, 2009
  4. At least Erin is nice to look at, which probably doesn't matter much to you liberals. And by liberals, I mean homosexuals of course. :D

That Kevin guy with the beady eyes, and the glasses to match, needs to go. Even by CNBC standards, he's nothing but a douche bag with vocal chords. It looks like they have some fresh meat, too. Mike Huckleby? Huckman? Just one more talentless stock salesman posing as a journalist. I'm sure CNBC producers welcomed him with open arms.

#15     Feb 2, 2009
  5. Fuck 'em. Draft them, like soldiers. We still have selective service. Make they work for around 600 a month. If they screw it up, the brig - bread and water.

They'll be real motivated.

Maybe Armani can fashion orange jump suits.

#16     Feb 2, 2009
  6. When the parent company is insolvent, you're entitled to...bupkis.

#17     Feb 2, 2009
  7. Jachyra

Jachyra

Oh yah, I'm sure thats exactly what you'd be thinking as you were preparing to sue your employer and take them to court for breach of contract.

#18     Feb 2, 2009
  8. Change jobs. Then the talent goes to the strong companies and makes them stronger while the poorly performing companies fail.

That's called Capitalism.

#19     Feb 2, 2009
  9. Jachyra

Jachyra

Well I think you would switch jobs... but I think you'd also feel as though you were owed money that was contractually obligated to you.

Besides, they're not insolvent, haven't you been paying attention lately? They just got billions of dollars in loans from the U.S. Government. Notice the word "loan" and not "gift" ? Not really sure what business this is of anyone's anyway until they miss their first payment.

#20     Feb 2, 2009