National Service for Americans ?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by hippie, Jul 27, 2010.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

I agree.

Option A is what we were meant to be.

Option B is what is currently happening, and sadly, will continue...

So sad!:mad:

#31     Jul 28, 2010

2. Anything they want to volunteer for is fine by me. Mandatory service and the sacrifice of a human beings most valuable asset (time) is unacceptable to me.

#32     Jul 28, 2010
  3. A couple of generations ago, the draft was considered "mandatory" for young males. If we'd had a long term policy of "service to country (in one way or another.. not necessarily military) by every citizen", it would seem different.

In some countries, MILITARY service is mandatory for both men and women... and I don't see that as a bad thing. It's like you've "done your part"... "got some skin in your country's game"... as opposed to NOT... and being a freeloader. You know, like the 50% of Americans who pay zero income tax.. many of whom receive the majority of the subsidies and benefits.. or the illegal immigrants who are parasitic suck-tits on the American social system...

#33     Jul 28, 2010

4. Yes, and there was a little something called "the vietnam war" that destroyed the romantic thought about service to your country.

Everybody can do their part. All they have to do is walk in the recruiters office or into habitat for humanity.

For those that leech..well they reap what they sow. A miserable existence living in abject poverty.

#34     Jul 28, 2010
  5. I know of that, first hand. It's one thing to fight and risk your life to defend your country, your friends and family, and your way of life. It's quite another to be forced into being the goons for political whim.

For the military in WWII... they knew for what and for whom they were fighting. Vietnam wasn't about the same thing... just like Iraq and Afghanistan now.

#35     Jul 28, 2010
  6. I love fellow veterans.

Right, and going forward all of these bush wars are going to tbe the norm and will never end. Thus perpetual war in which our nations children will fight and die in over nothing. Why are we in Iraq again? What did my countrymens son lose his legs for?

#36     Jul 28, 2010
  7. Well, it's not just "Bush wars"... been going on long before. It's been often said, "The business of America is war"... that's mostly for the economic stimulus warring provides. Eisenhower warned. We didn't listen.

#37     Jul 28, 2010
  8. You know I meant Bush wars as in conflict and not GWB right? Just clarifying...

Precisely why there should never be any mandatory service. Its no longer about protection. Its about profit.

#38     Jul 28, 2010
  9. Both.

It's sad the way we do it. We shouldn't be involved unless we have total conviction... "in it to win it"... or STAY THE HELL OUT!

As much as we like to appreciate and admire our troops, sad fact... THEY ARE CHUMPS... having their lives put at risk to be mere political, expendable pawns.

#39     Jul 28, 2010
  10. Agreed 100%

#40     Jul 28, 2010