National Service for Americans ?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by hippie, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Those countries do not wage perpetual war...

#21     Jul 28, 2010
  2. Well, if we had "mandatory service"... most would opt for one of the civilian choices. Some, you know, WANT the military action and all that goes with it. One of my college professors served 2 years in the Peace Corps in Ethiopia between his Masters and PhD.

It's a good thing to reflect that you have "done SOMETHING"... to benefit your country or humanity... benefits MANY a great deal.. hurts no one, really. Maybe you serve as an adminstrator.. maybe you pick up trash on the highway.. maybe work in a soup kitchen... considering that ALL of those help others in some way... and if all were required to do their part.. it would be beneficial..

When I was in the Boy Scouts and on our weekend camping trips, we always spent 1/2 day helping somebody or improving the environment in some way... and sometimes that included policing highway trash. Didn't hurt us. Same principles could apply on a bigger scale.

#22     Jul 28, 2010
  3. I am glad someone else remembers that line. The "Draft" word was the main topic in schools, blaming Bush. Rangel was the first one out of the gate regarding the draft.

Rangel is going to come out of this in good shape. My only guess is he has a get of of jail card with plenty of other peoples picture on it. Translate, I'm sure others will go down if he does. No one is going down that road.

#23     Jul 28, 2010
  4. You give congress too much credit. I for one think the moment warm bodies were needed the civilian component of a national service organization would be mobilized with a quickness overseas. Think National Guardsmen in Iraq or Afghanistan. Those guys wanted to join to protect the states from invasion or help with disasters..and they find themselves in the desert dodging IEDs.

If you want to enlist do it. I did 4 years and it was great. But if I was told my children had to join i`d tell uncle sam to fuck off and drive north.

#24     Jul 28, 2010
  5. I would suggest a bill for national service.

If you aren't in school or working 40 hours aweek you're in national service up to the age of 18 or 19.

Now kids quit school @ 16 and do nothing. Too many kids doing nothing at a young age.

ps. This is a minor requirement for guys who want to date my daughters. Bingo, pay stub or report card OR get lost.

#25     Jul 28, 2010
  6. Can't blame you there... but what if, presuming "service" a requirement, your kids were give the choice to join VISTA instead of the military? Or, serve in Habitat for Humanity... building houses?

#26     Jul 28, 2010
  7. LEAPup

LEAPup

I'm just wondering when Americans will say enough is enough, and take this great Country back by force!

I've never seen such ignorance, especially among the dumbocrats!

Our Founding Fathers roll around, and flip out in their graves over what has come of the Country they loved enough to risk their asses over!:mad:

#27     Jul 28, 2010
  8. nitro

nitro

If only there were moral forces. I am guessing, I don't really know, that the Coast Guard is probably the most moral of the forces.

I would join the IMF. No, not the Impossible Mission Force, the Impossible Moral Force. Task, protect wild life, help the poor and helpless, (re)build in case of natural disasters, etc. The Coast Guard does some of this already I think...

#28     Jul 28, 2010
  9. I like the idea of when its voluntary carrot over stick. One idea is service for learning a trade. So many of these trade schools are a scam. All this money to be an auto mechanic going into debt. Some ppl aren't college worthy that's ok. Teach them a trade while doing a service. Heck with your idea of HFH you could teach them to build homes and then they can learn a trade.

#29     Jul 28, 2010
  10. Ahhh.... NEVER HAPPEN! The Left will [eventually] prevail.... if for no other reason than the alternative of (A) "America is the Land Of Opportunity. Here, you will be allowed to work hard and achieve whatever you can.. without government encumbrance", or (B) "Vote for me/us, we will give you money and benefits.. you don't have to 'do anything'.. just park your ass on the couch and watch Oprah all day if you wish... and you will be rewarded for your vote." You know, Obama's spiel.

"B" is going to win out in the majority, eventually.

#30     Jul 28, 2010