nat gas to 8.00 in 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by scriabinop23, Jul 28, 2006.

1. I called $8.00 gas because of record withdrawals and a possible hurricane season.

Now the story is different. I think $6.50-$7.50 will be the range (sorry, $3 gas is not in the cards unless a record warm winter builds up reserves higher - and you wouldn't possibly see that price until next July).

If Iran does something goofy, then gas is back up on pure comradery with oil.

#21     Aug 19, 2006
  2. Only way we'd see $3 gas is if oil tanks big time to $45.

#22     Aug 24, 2006
  3. I think I made my first QG trades tonight in asian trading

was lucky to break even ... was trying to scale in longs against shorts in QM

since I am not one of the locals on the NYMEX floor or
    too knowledgeable about the historical correlationship
    between these two energy product .. .I will try not to play
    QG in the future ...

good luck to all you gun slingers !

:p

#23     Aug 27, 2006
  4. QG has its own little story - spot to future price interplay, strong momentum in trading (get out of the way until trends define), a tendency to overshoot, etc.

I traded tonight as well, long avg 6.565. i think this dumping overshot - i'm expecting things to stabilize at least around 6.75.

while I don't expect it, I wouldn't be surprised to see nat gas hit 6.25 as well. I can only theorize nat gas is so volatile because leverage on these contracts is so large, and traders have let technicals reign supreme. So when its time to dump, every one who knows what they're doing dumps. Vice versa true. Even on the mini, its a lot to lose for a few cents here or there.

cash prices are too strong right now, and there will likely be more tropical depressions, etc. etc. so I think there is some additional support.

Yes, you could play the spread between QM and QG, but I don't really think that is a realistic -short term- trade, especially right now. And any long term trade with QG takes balls, or at least a really great entry price, I think. There's a reason QG is not 6:1 ($12) to oil right now, because QG has its own supply/demand dynamics. The only way that ratio will hold true is prices are stable with oil long enough to justify actual consumption changes to make NG look more attractive - again, a long term trade. I think any short term play on this modality of thought is wishful and arrogant (to presume you know better than the market).

#24     Aug 28, 2006
  5. snupie

snupie

the market seems to be thinking now that October gas should be cheaper than the September gas.
    Does this make any sense ?
    Just because Ernesto is gone it does not meant that the winter will start soon ?
    Any ideas on that ?

#25     Aug 31, 2006
  6. man what a kicking any long speculators got the last week or 2. i stick to my prediction if this si a mild winter and not bad hurricaines ng will collapse to $3-$4. the problem with trading ng is when you go 2 months ago you got to pay threw the nose. so somebody 2 days ago was paying $9 a contract for nov ng which which expires oct 26th. that price incorporates a hurriciane and some cold weather

#26     Aug 31, 2006