Nassim Taleb Says ‘Every Human’ Should Short U.S. Treasuries

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Daal, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Daal

Daal

2. How's Taleb's hyperinflation fund doing? Been quiet.

3. Shorting US bonds seems to be the consensus these days. The only problem is that bonds have been on the rise so far this year. I am just curious if all these prognosticators predicted the largest bond decline in history during 2009.

Having said that, it does make sense that with interest rates being at zero and with our debt being so massive, bond yields should rise. I did buy some TBF this morning due to the lower high made on the weekly chart but had planned to purchase a larger position until I saw the run up in bond prices this morning.

The seasonal trend for bonds is down starting this month, which was the basis for my trade, along with the price action.

http://mrci.com/client/seapat/us//usm012.pdf

4. m22au

m22au

If I had to be short government debt, I would choose a different country.

Greece
    Portugal
    Spain
    Italy
    Ireland
    UK
    Japan

There's plenty to choose from ...

5. Great idea. Do you know of any inverse bond ETFs for these countries? I cannot seem to find any.

6. clacy

clacy

Good point. These countries do not have the US military in their back pocket, which could be considered a game changer on the government debt front.

7. lulz. hey now, broken clocks are right twice a day. Maybe this is Taleb's moment?

8. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

im constantly amazed to see how patriotism overcomes common sense every time among americans.

this is probably the only reason the country is still going - just.

losers i believe, trade & investment decisions are made from the heart (not the head), and justified with logic (what ever reason the internet will give that supports the emotion).

there is no finer example of this thesis than this thread thus far.

9. m22au

m22au

I'm not aware of any - sorry

#10     Feb 4, 2010