Nassim Taleb on Charlie Rose: "Massive Deflation Nightmare, Roubini Too Bullish"

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Daal, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Higher asset prices, yes very easily. The only reason Japan failed was because they simply did not print ENOUGH. (yes.. look at money supply of Japan vs US starting 1990... The US wins, and we weren't even in a collapse to respond to)

Prosperity... Much tougher .... As we know, prosperity does not come from higher asset prices. Look at Zimbabwe.

#21     Dec 8, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

Isn't that a factor in how we got into this mess?

History is full of lessons about how this doesn't work... but politicos are so greedy, they apparently can't help themselves from continually trying .. :mad:

#22     Dec 8, 2008
  3. Your giving the government way too much credit. And blindly assuming Bernanke knows what is doing is a very bad assumption and I think its going to cost alot of people a lot more money.

#23     Dec 8, 2008
  4. #24     Dec 8, 2008
  5. how is that great moderation working out for him?

#25     Dec 8, 2008

6. What did you want him to say? 'I think the credit market is in a bubble and every major bank is doing stupid things.' Do you realize what the ramifications of that from an elected official would have been? Get in reality.

hey i'm merely saying this guy knows how to print money and stimulate demand, and the simplest laws in economics define if you do it enough, eventually deflation is beat.

(Of course, I'm definitely NOT arguing that he'll be sharp enough to even contemplate an out of control inflation.)

#26     Dec 8, 2008
  7. heypa

heypa

I'm sure both Bernanke and Paulson know what they're doing. I'm just as sure we don't know why they're doing it.

#27     Dec 8, 2008
  8. zdreg

zdreg

the US didn't win anything. the US Fed and congress with the cooperation of wall street
    created a bubble which the rest of america and the world will have to pay for. american capitalism the envy of the world has been destroyed as a result.

#28     Dec 8, 2008
  9. Excellent insight Scriabinop.

You are one of the few on ET that can actually turn their brains on and evaluate a given situation.
    I enjoy your posts!

#29     Dec 8, 2008
  10. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

Deflation is always temporary. the gov't won't allow deflatio n because it would mean job losses===less taxes causing economic instability and riots. etc. from economic decline. lower asset value==less taxes...

in the long run real inflation is what matters. there is no inflation if incomes rise or inflation is resulting from increase growth or productivity with price increases.

#30     Dec 8, 2008