Nassim Taleb Makes Billions and Attacks Richard Dawkins

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by marketsurfer, May 11, 2009.

1. I can believe a little over 100 million, but that would suck considering he made 50 million during '87. Hasn't even beaten the market.

#21     May 12, 2009
  2. I seriously doubt he made 50 million in '87. Hence the Paloma episode.

#22     May 12, 2009
  3. That's from fortune, or what I recollect from it. There's not a doubt he hit big on that day.

#23     May 12, 2009
  4. Not true. I read the book. But others did warn in a specific way. Paulos, Tavakoli, Grantham. Not Taleb. As this unfolded he was first quoted calling it a black swan. When that didn't fly, he called it a grey swan, then switched to white swan admittiing that others saw it, albeit he did not. But he shifts his dialogue to suit the audience. First he says no one can predict these things, then cites the 2003 NYTimes article--after others already spoke up as proof he said something. Many warned about the size of the GSE's mortgage portfolio and their slim capital long before Taleb. B.S. are the appropriate initials for his recent work. He has fooled a lot of people.

#24     May 12, 2009
  5. Plenty of doubt, since he's the one that feeds the press the information. Subsequent to that, he was a failed trader and Paloma people say he didn't like being shoved to research. In my experience people who don't need the money don't put up with it. They also say the 1987 story is self-promotion, not fact.

But as I say, Taleb has been caught out in a lot of inconsistencies, so I don't believe the things he has fed the press without providing a shred of proof.

#25     May 12, 2009
  6. huh? you are incorrect

#26     May 12, 2009

7. so nt is akin to a carl sagan type--- a promoter of ideas rather than a creator......

#27     May 12, 2009
  8. What's your basis for saying that other than the Fortune article where he fed them the information. In the case of the interview I read, Taleb fed that information, too, and it was ludicrous.

#28     May 12, 2009
  9. Not even close. Like I say, when his B.S. about having created riches doesn't fly, the fall back position is that he's some thinker above the fray. Yet, he changes his public dialogue to suit the moment, and it seems all in the interest of self-promotion, not from any clean motive. A legend in his own mind. I've made my point, and he is not my cup of tea, so I'll leave you to your feet-of-clay hero worship. You can do much better.

#29     May 12, 2009

10. i worship no man, setting the record straight.

as a self proclaimed expert on the expert, what are his academic credentials? anyone know the truth.

#30     May 12, 2009