Nassim Taleb Makes Billions and Attacks Richard Dawkins

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by marketsurfer, May 11, 2009.

1. taleb vs dawkins--the ultimate showdown coming soon......

taleb makes billions for "black swan" fund during meltdown.

taleb calls dawkin's reasoning shoddy.

STAY TUNED!

surf

2. billions?

3. Bootsie

Bootsie

I've read taleb's (2) books and most of Dawkins'. There is no contest... Dawkins is leaps and bounds above Taleb in thinking and idea's. The 'Black Swan' was mostly dribble anyway..

B

4. He is Super Bearish still. Thought there was NO WAY the markets recover.

5. "I'm not interested in money. I wanted to teach the banks a lesson."
    NT

LOVE IT!

surf

6. sjfan

sjfan

what's taleb's beef with dawkins?

7. squeeze

squeeze

Taleb appears to have become ill with Cramer's syndrome showing the tell tale symptoms of needing to rant incoherently in front of an audience.

8. Daal

Daal

Taleb's argument actually makes sense, evolution helps animals became the fittest against past events, it doesnt help them to cope with future unpredictable events

Since taleb has the view that black swans are becoming more important due globalization(kurtosis is increasing) and other factors then species are not exactly fit to cope this new world since it will look nothing like that past, hence they are full of 'hidden risks'

An example would be almost every animal on the planet suffering from the effects of polution that were the result of the unpredictable event of humans learning how to burn oil and the massive auto industry boom of the last 100 years

9. sjfan

sjfan

that's an interesting point; the fitness function, so to speak, has decoupled; In any case, it doesn't seem that taleb is fundamentally disagreeing with dawkins, but holds certain extension views.

#10     May 12, 2009