Nassim Taleb: Ask Me Anything

Discussion in 'Options' started by Pekelo, Jun 29, 2017.

1. dumpdapump

dumpdapump

They are in the link I posted earlier. Happy?

#41     Jun 30, 2017
  2. dumpdapump

dumpdapump

Taleb's skill set does not only encompass a black swan strategy approach. He ran for many years exotic and vanilla options books. He most definitely understands more about options than anyone on this entire site. It's mind boggling how so many give a career liar like Trump a free pass but shoot down highly intelligent and honest individuals just because of a single failed strategy approach when they have given back so much to the public in terms of knowledge and experience.

#42     Jun 30, 2017
    athlonmank8 likes this.
  3. zdreg

zdreg

vague. typical.
    snake oils salesmen use your language. if you have the numbers copy and paste it to your reply. marketsurfer was a master in this deceptive technique.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    #43     Jun 30, 2017
  4. zdreg

zdreg

maybe. anyway knowing a subject and making money off it are two different skill sets.
    hemmingway got it right: "those who can do and those who can't teach."

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    #44     Jun 30, 2017
  5. ironchef

ironchef

Taleb's strategy is 180 degree opposite to what you said.

#45     Jun 30, 2017
  6. ironchef

ironchef

His paper:

Geman, D., Geman, H. and Taleb, N.N., 2015. "Tail risk constraints and maximum entropy". Entropy, 17, pp.1-14.

Provided a mathematical proof that his barbell strategy is optimum risk management (as oppose to stress tests and stop losses) for tail risks. I can only understand his logic but not smart enough to follow his math.

I am not defending him or his math, it is certainly not vague and I post it hopping you can explain the math to me?

Best to you.

#46     Jun 30, 2017
    zdreg likes this.
  7. zdreg

zdreg

thank you for what can be deemed a model reply. unfortunately the math is beyond my pay scale.

best to you,also.

#47     Jun 30, 2017
  8. zdreg

zdreg

it sounds like the victor neiderhoffer defense. once people like taleb etc. take your money you kiss it goodbye,
    you and nyt readers bring up the name Trump even if irrelevant to the discussion. your obsession makes you look pathetic.

#48     Jun 30, 2017
    Van_der_Voort_4 likes this.
  9. dumpdapump

dumpdapump

Is this you, @Robert Morse? Same word choices. I came across posts by both of you now multiple times that seemed to have typed by the same fingers...

#49     Jun 30, 2017
    athlonmank8 likes this.
  10. ironchef

ironchef

The link to his book Silent Risk is within this link. I opened the link and tried to read his book. Well, it is readable only for someone who is studying for his PhD in mathematical finance. I gave up after about page 100. As an options traders I really don't know how it could help me except perhaps this:
    upload_2017-6-30_20-56-31.png
    I certainly like to take advantage of a situation where payoff swamps probability.

#50     Jul 1, 2017