Nassim Taleb: Ask Me Anything

Discussion in 'Options' started by Pekelo, Jun 29, 2017.

1. %%
    NOT exactly done what you asked , IronChief,but very closely related to that. Enjoy study of insurance[ risk transfer]+ insurance contracts, which can help- in trading-investing. Like my banker dad warned me as a kid ''accidents do NOT just happen ,son --they are CAUSED'' . Great point /warning thru my banker dad!!==================================:cool:

#131     Jul 21, 2017

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    #132     Jan 31, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. What is Nassib Taleb's investment performance since 2009, given that many prominent hedge fund managers seem to have faltered in this bull market?

#133     Jan 31, 2018
  4. he writes books

#134     Jan 31, 2018
  5. An investment writer who wants to be taken seriously should also have a good investment record. I hate to read investment books that sound like a summary of what is written by other writers. A good writer needs to write original stuff. Only those who invest on their own can write original stuff because you need unique experience to do that.

#135     Jan 31, 2018
  6. tomorton

tomorton

I recommend all traders understand what a black swan is and what Taleb said about them (and us).

But I found his writing style overbearing, superior and arrogant, to the point where I'll never read anything further he has written. I truly believe he only writes so he can demonstrate he is smarter than the people around him. He does not write as an iterative process as part of the development of a line of thinking, nor to help traders or investors.

OK, it might be that he IS smarter than the people around him, but I don't want to be the leg he humps up against.

#136     Feb 1, 2018
    Frederick Foresight and Visaria like this.
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I'll bet there are a thousand quants in Wall Street who are smarter than taleb, but few who are better at self promotion.

#137     Feb 1, 2018
    tomorton likes this.
    #138     Feb 2, 2018
  9. sss12

sss12

When I read someone with the "style" of NT, I try to just to take one or two points away from it. Nothing more.

One I took was that when faced with a loss, you do not need to know right then WHY it happened, just admit that it had happened and your rational for being in the position did not work this time, and GET OUT.

#139     Feb 2, 2018
  10. tomorton

tomorton

On losses I agree. The old advice, "Nobody ever went broke taking profits" should be changed now and forever to "Nobody ever went broke cutting losers early".

On NT, I 'm sure you have a higher tolerance level than I do. I can't read anything more by this man. If he cared what I think I'm sure he'd have a very sharp, superior and personal comment in reply.

#140     Feb 3, 2018