Nassim Taleb: Ask Me Anything

Discussion in 'Options' started by Pekelo, Jun 29, 2017.

1. I do!

#121     Jul 12, 2017
  2. sle

sle

Oh, so you are ignoring me specifically :(

#122     Jul 12, 2017
  3. Hell, no... I didn't see nuthink, officer, I swears!

#123     Jul 12, 2017
  4. I don't see anything from you or anyone who could be you in disguise, mate...

#124     Jul 13, 2017
  5. %%
    LOL; maybe a paraphrase, more so than a quote , but dont really know LOL:caution::cool:

#125     Jul 19, 2017
  6. ironchef

ironchef

Let's see, if options are fairly priced, then neither buyers nor sellers on average have any advantage. Both will lose money after commissions and slippage.

So if options are fairly priced, Taleb will at most breakeven unless the tails are way underpriced since he and his associates mostly hedged the tails (or bought tails?).

Have anyone here done any tail analysis to determine that his method won't work because after 1987, 1997, 2000 and 2008, tail events are priced in?

Thanks.

#126     Jul 19, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  7. Its been a few years since I read his book but I think the whole premise was that tail events are more common than the market thinks. He used a bunch of fancy words and math but I remember thinking that was all he was really saying. Maybe I misunderstood...

#127     Jul 19, 2017
  8. ironchef

ironchef

Interesting you said that. I read his books, lots of self promotion and rants but no quantitative discussions or results, so not sure how good is his method.

Don't think he quantified the tail probabilities, instead said they were not quantifiable. Is he right or are the market/others more right?

#128     Jul 19, 2017
  9. I have no idea. Not a question that can be answered imo.

#129     Jul 19, 2017
  10. it does not work because:

skew on OTM puts is too steep (this makes options decay too fast and too expensive)

interest rates are too low (this makes stock more attractive)

excluding 1987, the expected value of put buying strategy is negative . Because this method constantly loses money, there may come a point where you may never be able to recover, even if there is another crash.

When the market falls, even just 2-4%, all IVs get ratcheted up, which means the method becomes much less profitable than it already is .

#130     Jul 21, 2017
    ironchef and murray t turtle like this.