Nasim Taleb Speaks Wednesday

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by marketsurfer, Apr 15, 2007.

1. gbos

gbos

Haven’t read his last book but have read some of the draft chapters he had uploaded to his homepage two years ago. If you enjoy reading books then buy it but don’t expect this book to make you rich. You will enjoy reading it thought …

Quote from one of the draft chapters …

#71     Apr 21, 2007
  2. there is an interview Taleb did recently (& since the time of the malcolm gladwell article) in which he discusses his trading philosophy pretty well (without divulging details of course). As i understand it its two part. first he's looking for bubbles; situations where a stock or future is likely to be bid up excessively and then buying far OTM strangles, for the "home run" potential amd because they represent "black swans" the improbable. for example he talks in Fooled by Randomness about making money off the Mexican Peso crisis of the Mid Nineties and if you pull up the charts you'll see it indeed looks like a bubble. however its a strategy that loses time value say 10 months of the year so it requires great patience. the second part is having other traders sell the bodies of butterflys (while he buys the wings) so collectively he captures time decay on other stocks or futures that are likely to sit for a while. I believe the interview was posted a few months ago in Actuve Trader magazine....

#72     Apr 21, 2007
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

I will attempt to summarize his new book without reading it:

Shit happens.

OK, that was too short so let's try again:

Shit happens randomly and infrequently, thus you can't plan for it in the long run in any profitable manner...

Was I close???

#73     Apr 21, 2007
  4. I read Taleb's Fooled By Randomness and very much enjoyed the read. Admittedly, it was what I conceptually already knew, but I thoroughly enjoyed Taleb's take on the subject. I imagine that I will probably buy his swan book in due course for the simple reason that I like his writing style and point of view, even though I don't trade options and don't expect that I ever will.

I think what he has to say has value. Using ET as an example, I find that some people here are just a little too comfortable and complacent in their numbers. Let me give you a true example of something I read here a few years ago. One trader was having second thoughts about his system because he had experienced a consecutive string of losing trades. I don't recall how many it was, but let's say 6 for the sake of argument. He also advised that his thorough historical testing produced a largest string of, say, 7 losing trades. He was then counseled by a well-meaning member to just go for those trades because he will almost certainly be profitable within the next two trades. Of course, this kind of reliance on historical numbers by the "advisor" is downright comical, even if the testing was entirely valid. But how different was LTCM's massive reversion-to-the-mean play that led to its downfall? One is just a variation of the other.

What I got out of his FBR book was a fun read and a reminder to stay humble and not get too smug with my numbers or expectations. To keep my neck in.

As for your reference to Ari Kiev, I read 3 of his books and did not particularly enjoy them. As I recall in his Trading To Win, he talks about having daily trading performance goals measured in dollars. (Correct me if I'm wrong, as I read it some years ago.) Perhaps it is a matter of context, but that is how I read it. Regardless of his impressive credentials and client roster, I think that anyone who has traded the markets for any length of time knows the danger in trying to extract money from the markets when they are not accommodating.

#74     Apr 21, 2007
  5. *Sigh*

#75     Apr 21, 2007
  6. What is a Black Swan event from the r/r stand point ? 30:1 , 50:1 ?
    Those types existing (and happening) in the markets EVERY SINGLE DAY.
    An year ago GOOG was downgrade 1 day before expiration and lost 10%. Certain slight out of money puts produced a 250:1 payout !

#76     Apr 21, 2007
  7. [​IMG]

#77     Apr 21, 2007
  8. good point, there are abnormal range expansions every day on the exchanges. Predicting them is not easy or there would be some awfully rich traders. Does it make sense to buy a lottery ticket (deep out of the money strikes) given the enormous potential payout?

#78     Apr 21, 2007
  9. what % did Taleb make in the 87 crash? I remember reading it, it was absurd.
    If i had done that and also wrote Dynamic Hedging I would probly be bored with finance by now also.
    He says in fooled by randomness he owns enough treasuries to never have to worry about money again.

#79     Apr 21, 2007
  10. just21

just21

I hope he hedged his currency risk!

#80     Apr 21, 2007