Nasdaq Composite emini to trade Globex

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by qazmax, Oct 23, 2003.

1. This would not attract liquidity.
    The index must be fully represented,
    because many transactions in futures
    are for hedging purposes.

#11     Oct 26, 2003
  2. Yes, with IB you can add "QCNZ3" by means of its underlying "COMP" (Nasdaq Composite Index®).

#12     Oct 26, 2003
  3. Yeah, Eurex should offer the Nasdaq 101, the S&P 501 and the Russell 2001. Honestly, other than the copyrighted names, I don't know why they couldn't make up their own indexes that are identical or even virtually identical to the other indexes, except in name. They could just call them the EUREX 100, EUREX 500 etc.

:D

#13     Oct 26, 2003
  4. Pabst

Pabst

Weirdly, this kind of thing has been tried, with some success once before. Until 1997, Dow Jones Co. was taciturn in it's refusal to allow it's good name to be sullied by being linked to a futures contract. As the CBOT and AMEX saw themselves being locked out of the lucrative index business by the burgeoning S&P licensed products at the CME and CBOE, the CBOT and AMEX invented the Major Market Index(MMI). The MMI contained 20 stocks, all of whom were DIA members. The MMI had a tremendously high serial correlation to the DIA and was hence a Dow surrogate. Pre 1987 crash, the MMI futures were quite liquid, trading perhaps 25-30% of the volume that S&P's traded. However after the crash the MMI along with the KCBOT's Value Line (the first listed Index contract), and the NYFE's NYSE Comp all faded from the scene.

Unfortunately sports fans, my best guess is that EUREX either doesn't intend to create competition in U.S. Index futures or even enter the market. The whole Index futures universe has a much different customer dynamic than fixed income contracts. Alas just as the MATIF has held onto the CAC40 and LIFFE to the FTSE, we can look forward to continue paying the relatively high access for S&P and NASDQ listed vehicles.

#14     Oct 26, 2003
  5. this is wonderful news ! my system was designed on the composite ( nasdaq ) --- i am psyched !

surfer

#15     Oct 26, 2003
  6. Xenia

Xenia

Zero volume ? Already dead ?

:confused:

#16     Apr 7, 2004