NASA scientists stunned by the amount of ice loss on greenland

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Jul 25, 2012.

1. i am sure its nothing to worry about since the et right wing intelligensia have declared global warming false:

Unprecedented melting of Greenland's ice sheet this month has stunned NASA scientists and has highlighted broader concerns that the region is losing a remarkable amount of ice overall.

According to a NASA press release, about half of Greenland's surface ice sheet naturally melts during an average summer. But the data from three independent satellites this July, analyzed by NASA and university scientists, showed that in less than a week, the amount of thawed ice sheet surface skyrocketed from 40 percent to 97 percent.

In over 30 years of observations, satellites have never measured this amount of melting, which reaches nearly all of Greenland's surface ice cover.

When Son Nghiem of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory observed the recent melting phenomenon, he said in the NASA press release, "This was so extraordinary that at first I questioned the result: Was this real or was it due to a data error?"

Scientists at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, University of Georgia-Athens and City University of New York all confirmed the remarkable ice melt.

NASA's cryosphere program manager, Tom Wagner, credited the power of satellites for observing the melt and explained to The Huffington Post that, although this specific event may be part of a natural variation, "We have abundant evidence that Greenland is losing ice, probably because of global warming, and it's significantly contributing to sea level rise."

Wagner said that ice is clearly thinning around the periphery, changing Greenland's overall ice mass, and he believes this is primarily due to warming ocean waters "eating away at the ice." He cautiously added, "It seems likely that's correlated with anthropogenic warming."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24/greenland-ice-melt-nasa_n_1698129.html

2. When the Greenland ice sheet melts - which it will if we keep doing what we're doing - sea levels will rise by 23 feet.

[​IMG]

3. stoic

stoic

An Inconvenient Truth, said Chicken Little.

First off you should know that the left wing head of propaganda declared that it's no longer to be called "Global Warming" the PC term is now "Climate Change" that way, no matter what happens, the occasional heat wave....or unusual cold snap..... Chicken Little can blame it on human activity.

Second, the same scientist that predict "climate change" have also stated that if this "tipping point" had happened the entire ice sheet would melt in about 2000 years. If the entire 2,850,000 cubic kilometers of ice were to melt, global sea levels would rise 23.6 ft. If the "thawed ice sheet surface" had skyrocketed to 97% as you state, that would equal about 22.9 ft., something I'm sure would have been on the evening news.

Third, "30 years of observations...." that's quite the sample in geological terms. It never ceases to amaze me just how much credibility Chicken Little puts in such a small sample. No other science would tolerate such appalling substantiation. The Mesozoic Era (just to name one) lasted about 185 million years and it's speculated that the climate was about 10ᵒ to 20ᵒ C warmer. (just in case you don't know, man wasn't around then) The Cryogenian period lasted about 215 million years and is thought to have produced a snow ball earth. Even Chicken Little should know the industrial revolution hadn't started yet to end that one.

Scientist have also estimated that the eruption of Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines in 1991 released more greenhouse gases in just a few days then the total sum of the industrial age of man.

It's quite possible that the earth, on average is getting wormer, we have been emerging out of the last short term ice age for the last 10,000 years or so. Someday I might have to say..."Oh my God!!!....when I was younger the average was 2 degrees lower then it is now......what shall we do? ..............what shall we do...?" Most likely we'll survive........ and so will Chicken Little.

4. thank you. i knew one of you right wing brainiacs would chime in and set us all straight. once and for. GLOBAL WARMING IS FALSE. no matter what the facts show.

5. Nothing that comes out of the NASA Goddard propaganda center is credible. This is the unit headed by the climate zealot James Hansen.

The government can't find anywhere to cut spending? Start here. WTF does ice in greenland have to do with NASA anyway? Is it part fo NASA's mission now to promote AGW alarmism?

6. wjk

wjk

Different spins on the same news:

"Even Greenland's coldest place showed melting. Records show that last happened in 1889 and occurs about once every 150 years...."

"Scientists can't say yet if the melting is from global warming or natural."

http://www.newsmax.com/SciTech/US-SCI-Greenland-Melt/2012/07/24/id/446414

or

"Wagner and other scientists said because this Greenland-wide melting has happened before they can't yet determine if this is a natural rare event or one triggered by man-made global warming."

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/cli...land-ice-sheet-melt-climate-change/56479518/1

7. stoic

stoic

As usual your reading and comprehension skills are absent. I never said the global warming was false. It may or may not be happening. I merely pointed out how unpersuasive, and the reasons why, the supposed facts are.

8. stoic

stoic

How about maybe.....global warming is natural !?

9. There's no question the world is warming and there's no question that man is responsible.

People who say otherwise must think they are smarter about the subject than virtually all the world's climate scientists and all of it's major science organizations. It's laughable.

Of course righties are used to dismissing science.

10. Unbelievable. Ignorance and delusion and contempt for knowledge. It's so sad because there are more of you.

#10     Jul 25, 2012