Nasa scientists braced for 'solar tsunami' to hit earth

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by W4rl0ck, Aug 2, 2010.

1. W4rl0ck

W4rl0ck

Cardinal Climax?

------------------------------------

The earth could be hit by a wave of violent space weather as early as Tuesday after a massive explosion of the sun, scientists have warned.

The solar fireworks at the weekend were recorded by several satellites, including Nasa’s new Solar Dynamics Observatory which watched its shock wave rippling outwards.

Astronomers from all over the world witnessed the huge flare above a giant sunspot the size of the Earth, which they linked to an even larger eruption across the surface of Sun.

The explosion was aimed directly towards Earth, which then sent a “solar tsunami” racing 93 million miles across space.

telegraph.co.uk

http://tinyurl.com/25enfno

2. nitro

nitro

Too bad I am not in one of the polar regions for the spectacular light show.

My understanding is that we have been in an unusually quiet period of solar activity. We also don't understand why. When the pendulum swings back, it could be very hard on earth's climate at least.

3. pspr

pspr

That's what happened in the last mini-ice age that ended in the early 1800's. Also, if the Sun should have a large coronal mass ejection aimed our way the Earth's magnetic field couldn't protect us and we could have our atmosphere blown away. Not Good!

But then I guess these events are on the rare events list like large astroid impacts and nearby neutron star explosions.

4. Banjo

Banjo

It's 107F today in Moscow, the peat bogs that surround the city are all burning from the natural heat. They have burned an airforce base and 200 planes. The smoke is so bad you can barely breathe. Air conditioners are sold out.

5. W4rl0ck

W4rl0ck

6. it is going to cause a power blackout in broken britain?:eek:

7. this should be in chat

8. or Trading / Hardware -

will there be any impact on computers/servers/ISPs ?
    'solar storms' if what this is have knocked-out satellites and screw-up navigational
    systems for aircraft so it's not - at present a purely annecdotal event