NASA Discovers 700 new planets - 140 similar to Earth

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kassz007, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Actually, it is illogical for you to believe that scientific progress will stop. History repeats itself. Science and technology has advanced from the dawn of time. It is this principle that I am basing my argument for future space travel on. Now THAT is logic.

#31     Jul 26, 2010
  2. Scientific progress will continue most assuredly.

Do you believe in physical laws of nature? Or does nature operate completely arbitrarily?

i sincerely hope for your sake the former.

Physical laws define what is possible and what is impossible.

Scientific progress is the discovery of those laws :D

#32     Jul 26, 2010
  3. olias

olias

traveling faster than the speed of light is a huge hurdle, if they ever find a way. The theory of relativity, in part, states that moving through space at the speed of light...time stops to work. The faster something moves the space, the slower it moves through time. I probably didn't explain that very well, but you can see what kind of hurdle science is up against.

#33     Jul 26, 2010
  4. good news

RKA (Russian Federal Space Agency) NPS Development

Anatolij Perminov, head of Russian Space Agency announced that RKA is going to develop a nuclear powered spacecraft for deep space travel. Design will be done by 2012, and 9 more years for development (in space assembly). The price is set to 17 billion rubles (600 million dollar

#34     Jul 26, 2010
  5. 600 million dollars

Hmnnn. This would get NASA 2 toilets, a hammer and a stack of liability waivers.

ps (I apoligize for the comment but couldn't reist):D

#35     Jul 26, 2010
  6. At one point you referred to special relativity. If you actually know the mathematical details of special relativity (other than what wikipedia or pop-culture has taught you), then you would not be arguing the points you are arguing now.

Traveling a great distance is not equivalent to the *time* taken to get there. That, and time is also a variable, not a constant.

Take a more advanced physics class (high school and community college doesn't cut it) before you refer to these types of ideas. Distance and time are not a linear relationship... that's the whole point of special relativity you dummy :)

In layman's terms, traveling at the speed of light has nothing to do with traveling across a tremendous distance.

You're too wrapped up in your own thought process to even understand what Einstein was actually saying.

#36     Jul 26, 2010
  7. <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L2oYS9-Ee9U&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L2oYS9-Ee9U&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

#37     Jul 26, 2010
  8. http://news.discovery.com/space/warp-drive-spaceship-engine.html

Might not be near, but it might not be that far either.

#38     Jul 26, 2010
  9. #39     Jul 27, 2010
  10. Is this related to the concept of time travel? Specifically, time travel into the "future"?

#40     Jul 27, 2010