NASA Discovers 700 new planets - 140 similar to Earth

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kassz007, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Most of these structures are millions of LIGHT-YEARS away.

The question is can a human travel the speed of light?

Einstein says it's IMPOSSIBLE

i believe him :D

#21     Jul 26, 2010
  2. A very good point.

#22     Jul 26, 2010
  3. Please show a reference for this. I have a hard time believing that Einstein would consider anything as definite.

#23     Jul 26, 2010
  4. have you heard of his Special Theory of Relativity..it's all in there :D

#24     Jul 26, 2010
  5. #25     Jul 26, 2010
  6. "The velocity for a manned round trip of a few decades to even the nearest star is thousands of times greater than those of the present space vehicles. This means that due to the square law, millions of times as much energy is required. Accelerating one ton to one-tenth of the speed of light requires at least 450 PJ or 4.5 × 1017 J or 125 billion kWh, not accounting for losses. This energy has to be carried along, as solar panels do not work far from the Sun and other stars."

"There is some belief that the magnitude of this energy may make interstellar travel impossible. It is reported that at the 2008 Joint Propulsion Conference, where future space propulsion challenges were discussed and debated, a conclusion was reached that it is improbable that humans will ever explore beyond the Solar System. Brice N. Cassenti, an associate professor with the Department of Engineering and Science at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, stated “At least 100 times the total energy output of the entire world would be required for the voyage (to Alpha Centauri)”

Interstellar travel is not possible under known physics :D

#26     Jul 26, 2010
  7. Thank you for proving my point. I never claimed it is currently possible. But some day it will be. Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely that either of us will be alive to settle this argument.

#27     Jul 26, 2010
  8. your logic continues to be flawed, you make MY point. it's impossible under KNOWN physics. your contention is possible ONLY under IMAGINARY physical law. that makes it IMPOSSIBLE. :D

#28     Jul 26, 2010
  9. Take a simple example. If we can travel x amount of km's MORE in space each year, would you not agree that some time in the future the amount of km's we can travel will be substantially more than now?

It may take 2000 more years, but eventually mankind will be able to travel great distances in space. That is if, as an earlier poster stated, mankind doesn't kill itself first.

Think out of the box for one moment. Virtually nothing is impossible. Just because we can't do it now does not mean it's impossible in the future.

Then again, you are a vegetarian so perhaps your thinking is flawed right from the start.

#29     Jul 26, 2010
  10. you are again making the same argument you did a few page ago..that the rate of progress of mankind's knowledge makes everything possible eventually. this assertion is illogical and a matter of irrational faith or belief :D

#30     Jul 26, 2010