NASA: Al Gore, It's The Sun Stupid!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Tresor

Tresor

That's why I asked to provide me with the information on how much ice there is under the see level and above sea level to calculate it.

#41     Jun 5, 2009
  2. Tresor

Tresor

Come on, tell me your scientific title, I will tell you mine.

Show me your scientific facts, if you have any.

#42     Jun 5, 2009
  3. Ah, so those are your sources. Elementary school teachers, my dear Watson.

#43     Jun 5, 2009
  4. Tresor

Tresor

Oh boy :D

Thunderdog. You only need elementary school knowledge to debunk CO2 and Al Gore. Nothing more.

1. History: Vikings arrived in a green island 1000 years ago, grew apples there, called the island Greenland. From history you know that there was NO INDUSTRY on Earth at that time to pollute the atmosphere to cause the green-house effect. Ergo, humans did not cause the greenhouse effect 1000 years ago. What makes you believe (not know, only believe) that humans caused the greenhouse effect these days?

2. Physics: the simple experiment that you didn't do would prove idiosyncratic water abilities to absorb the ice.

3 Biology: photosynthesis; the more CO2, the better for the planet.

4 Geography: water cycle. The hotter, the more humidity (more water absorbed in the atmosphere), the more precipitation (also on the poles, thus retaining H20 as ice) = stable oceans / sea / lake water reserves.

Thunderdog, this is the very basic knowlege that you should have picked at the age of 10 - 12 and not have forgotten.

What you are doing now is you reject that knowledge and at the same time you acquire beliefs sold to you not by scientists / teachers but by politicians and media. These beliefs of yours are:
    - humans caused greenhouse effect
    - CO2 miracleously melts the ice into water OR makes the Earth hotter
    - the melted ice will flood the Earth / the sea level will rise.

Please prove your points / beliefs.

Regards

#44     Jun 5, 2009
  5. Perhaps you should read a little slower--->"...how high will the temperature need to go to melt the antarctic ice, the ice that is actually on land? "

The Interior
    The interior of Antarctica receives the most indirect rays from the sun which makes it cooler. For long periods in the winter it receives no sunlight at all. The interior has a very high altitude which adds to the very cold temperatures.
    Because the interior of Antarctica is a land mass and far away from the ocean, it gets no warming effect from the water.The interior is characterized by extreme cold and light snowfall. Raging blizzards often occur, however, when winds pick up previously deposited snow and move it from place to place. Almost continuous daylight occurs during the southern hemisphere's summer and darkness during the southern hemisphere's winter. On the polar plateau, temperature is controlled by solar input, latitude and altitude. The annual average temperature is -50°C (-58°F). Winter temperatures drop quickly, then level out. Summer is short, from mid-December to mid-January, however, temperatures can reach a balmy -30°C (-22°F)! This is partly due to the increase in solar radiation, but also the surface of the ice is a little darker and, therefore, less reflective after the winter. A small accumulation of fresh snow at the onset of winter quickly restores the high surface albedo.
    http://www.antarcticconnection.com/antarctic/weather/climate.shtml

Why so glib, bub? We both know the warmest day is what matters and I'm sure you took my hint as I meant it to be taken—to point out the extreme nature of Antarctica's climate.

I get the impression you're another media baby sucking on the media's teat and you KNOW what's happening with the climate. Here's a link to a tree hugging website, and as you can imagine, I was shocked when I read this quote: "The bottom line is that there is still a lot to learn."

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/antarctic-sea-ice-47011002

"Antarctic sea ice hasn't shown the same obvious melting patterns in recent decades as the Arctic, fueling the global warming denialist crowd. Though the data isn't as consistent as in the North, where the extent of sea ice this summer hit a stunning record low, southern sea ice has been expanding..."

#45     Jun 5, 2009
  6. Darn, now if only the folks at IPCC and NASA had been paying attention when they were 10...

#46     Jun 5, 2009
  7. Here is a view from the opposite end of the spectrum:

Report: Antarctic Ice Growing, Not Shrinking

"Ice is expanding in much of Antarctica, contrary to the widespread public belief that global warming is melting the continental ice cap.

The results of ice-core drilling and sea ice monitoring indicate there is no large-scale melting of ice over most of Antarctica, although experts are concerned at ice losses on the continent's western coast..."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517035,00.html

#47     Jun 5, 2009
  8. Okay. I'll go real sloooooow and use as many simple and single syllable words as possible. Nobody said Greenland was ice free. The point is there was less ice 800 years BEFORE the industrial revolution than there is today. Some argue MUCH less. That brings up an interesting question, don't ya think?

#48     Jun 5, 2009
  9. Tresor

Tresor

Don't look at IPCC and NASA. All the look after are grants financed from your taxes. I understand them. The more they scare you the more money they will get from you.

I also understand why politicians scare you with the crap.

If they are right, then your books and your teachers were wrong. No other way.

If you decide that Al Gore is right (is he a scientist?) then prove that:

1. humans caused greenhouse effect
    2. CO2 miracleously melts the ice into water OR makes the Earth hotter thus melting ice into water
    3. the melted ice will flood the Earth / the sea level will rise.

Regards

#49     Jun 5, 2009
  10. You mean just like the "scientists" bought and paid for by Big Oil? Preceded by the (in some cases same) "scientists bought and paid for by Big Tobacco? You mean like that?

Or do you perhaps mean the way the Bush administration engaged in a systematic effort to manipulate climate change science and mislead policymakers and the public about the dangers of global warming:

http://oversight.house.gov/story.asp?ID=1653

#50     Jun 5, 2009