Naked short rule to be applied across entire market

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ChkitOut, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Do you really believe that this is because of naked shorting?

#51     Aug 13, 2008
  2. Of course. People were asking this question for a long time while it was happening each day.

#52     Aug 13, 2008
  3. So, if there were no naked shorting, XLF would be at 30?

#53     Aug 13, 2008
  4. I am the last person to defend the criminals running the 19 chosen. Look at the UBS news. The execs knew they wre illegally avoiding US taxes for it's clients.

However, if the law were enforced, then, the shorting would, to a degree, be limited to available borrowable shares. The rightly owners of those shares would be compensated. And the Captains of the respective Titantics would be able to raise some more capital to try and survive. Whatever is going to happen will take its course, BUT IN DUE TIME. NOT A NEW YORK MINUTE. I didn't say they deserve to survive. IMO they are scum. But my opinion doesn't matter.

Look at it like this. If Grandma gets a cough, you give her a chance to recover. You don't smother her with her pillow and leave a good looking corpse.

Stop using bad logic. And on the topic of Crisis Mgt, this just hit.

10:29 NYX NYSE Euronext Regulation and FINRA announce agreement with ten U.S. exchanges to strengthen surveillance, investigation, and enforcement to prevent insider trading (41.99 -0.03)

I'd call'e m assoles, but all the real assholes would be offended.

#54     Aug 13, 2008
  5. Don't need to

LOL at the irony!

Keep living in denial. By the time you will be forced to face reality, it will be too late. Just more fuel for you to cry about.

#55     Aug 13, 2008
  6. Ok, but why not just penalize those who short without borrowing? To strengthen rules for borrowing takes a lot of manpower, and customers have to pay up. Why not send the bill to those who break the law?

#56     Aug 13, 2008
  7. thats a great point. i dont think anyone can say a stock that is below its true value right now.

#57     Aug 13, 2008
  8. Naked short rule to be applied across entire market
    ===========================

Re the headline. If they did apply naked short selling across the whole market, I'll be first in the "whaz up" line regarding the ETF's on the Reg Sho list. No one's bitching about the ftd's in that dept. I mean c'mon, FTD is FTD, nary a peep about that from the baloney brigade.

#58     Aug 13, 2008
  9. mwgr5

mwgr5

I really doubt this rule will be extended to the entire market. First, there has been substantial backlash against the rule. Also, the rule really does little to curb naked short selling as current rules already help prevent this.

If the SEC were to extend the rule I think it would be to regional banks first.

#59     Aug 13, 2008
  10. dont get me wrong, there should be no naked selling of anything ( espcially with my body). but i cant wait minutes to short something either. all these firms need to get automaited so when i go do short something they know for a fact i can borrow it instantanily. i dont care about the deliver aspect becuase im only holding for minutes at most.

i;ve had some great upside trades recently, but im guessing the person taking the other side of the trade does not have the"bowwow in hand" its probaly some black box sitting there in every stock

#60     Aug 13, 2008