Naked Call

Discussion in 'Options' started by cigarno, May 11, 2010.

1. cigarno

cigarno

Ok.... Can you borrow the stock instead of buying it?!

#11     May 14, 2010
  2. ptrjon

ptrjon

if yesterday you had -3 calls on XOM and the client exercised,

today you'd have 0 calls, -300 XOM, and whatever 300*the strike price in cash.

#12     May 15, 2010
  3. What about a naked put that I wrote. Let's assume that it is in the money for the person who bought the put, for example 1 point below the strike price that I wrote it for, do I get assigned the stock, or do they just take money out of my account, on expiration?

#13     May 15, 2010
  4. heech

heech

You will (most likely) be assigned.

Friendly warning: if it's barely ITM, the option *may* be abandoned without exercise, and you won't find out until the next day. Similarly, if it's barely OTM, the option may still be exercised... (at least in futures; not positive about equities).

#14     May 15, 2010
  5. MTE

MTE

You get the stock.

#15     May 15, 2010

6. Yes. You can always carry a short stock position - but only when your broker can borrow the shares.

Plus - some brokers charge you a fee to carry short stock, so be certain to inquire about the specific stock - preferable before you are assigned.

Mark

#16     May 15, 2010
  7. cigarno

cigarno

0k.....here is an example you get assigned to deliver the stock and you do own the stock how does the borrowing mechanism work in order for you to deliver the stock?!

#17     May 16, 2010
  8. spindr0

spindr0

It's kinda like which came first, the chicken or the egg?

It's neither. It's the one smoking the cigarette.

:)

#18     May 16, 2010
  9. cigarno

cigarno

scientists say that the EGG came first. About 2 million years ago a bird laid an egg with muted genes and the chicken was born..........

#19     May 16, 2010
  10. EGG came first, Aliens used the Earth as a giant Petri dish and dropped off 1 egg to see the effects from far away.

Aliens are laughing at the idiotic things we do on a daily basis and now we are being broadcast on all the galactic cable networks for pay per view.

#20     May 17, 2010