NAACP Racism story disintegrates: Another Breitbart lie

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hermit, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Let's just cut to the chase, shall we. Anyone with even a glimpse of intellectual honesty knows the left just became a victim of their own political correctness. Their own need to rush to judgement and label someone when it comes to issues on race. A victim of their own bullshit.
    The MSM, mostly radical leftists, got hold of this story and the Obama administration got spooked.(no racial pun intended, but I know you lefties think so).
    This is what happens when an organization becomes hell bent on destruction of character, which is what the MSM is all about. Cut, splice, edit it all down to produce something that supports one owns agenda. Happy now lefties? You poor dumb bastards can't even see the obvious, can you?
    The story originated on the right, which has the left all up in arms as they got suckered into jumping the gun. Guess you goofs just got beat at your own game.

#41     Jul 21, 2010
  2. It seems that sherrod helped plenty of white people too.
    So I really do not care what she said in the video.

So it seems to be a shame she was fired.

#42     Jul 21, 2010
  3. When the enemy eats it's own you don't protest you just pop some popcorn and enjoy the show.

It's time for conservatives to grow up and become immune (like myself) to the red herring cry of racism charges.

#43     Jul 22, 2010
  4. Mnphats

Mnphats

Obama apologizes to ousted Agriculture official, says he hopes she will take new position

By MARY CLARE JALONICK and BEN EVANS , Associated Press

Last update: July 22, 2010 - 4:25 PM

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama apologized Thursday to former federal official Shirley Sherrod over her ouster in the midst of a racially tinged firestorm that enveloped the White House.

Obama expressed his regret in a phone call, telling Sherrod he hopes she will accept the Agriculture Department's offer of a new position and saying she could parlay "this misfortune" into an opportunity to use her life experiences to help people, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said. The president thought Sherrod was "very gracious," Gibbs told reporters.

Sherrod was forced to resign as a USDA official in Georgia earlier this week after a conservative blogger posted an edited video of her recalling at an NAACP meeting her reluctance 24 years ago to help a poor white farmer seeking government assistance. She later said that the video posting took out of context what had been a talk advocating racial reconciliation.

Obama spoke to Sherrod after a slew of nationally broadcast interviews. From network to network, she said she wanted to talk to Obama about her wretched week but that she felt there was no need for him to apologize, as Gibbs and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack had earlier.

Sherrod, in an interview with CNN, called her talk with Obama "a very good conversation."

"I've been dealing with some of the same issues he's been dealing with, especially for the last five years," she said.

Earlier, Sherrod said in a television interview that she viewed the president as "not someone who has experienced some of the things I've experienced in life."

Sherrod said she is uncertain whether she will accept Vilsack's invitation to come back to his department, saying she wants to think it over.

The fracas started when Sherrod was forced to resign as Georgia's director of rural development Monday after a conservative blogger posted a video of her telling a crowd at a local NAACP meeting about her initial reluctance 24 years ago to help a poor white farmer seeking government assistance.

Sherrod took to the media Tuesday denying that her comments were racist, and the NAACP — which had at first condemned her remarks, then later apologized — posted the full 43-minute video showing the entire speech. The farmer in question also did interviews and said Sherrod had eventually helped him save his farm.

Conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart said he had posted a portion of Sherrod's remarks in an effort to illustrate that racism exists in the NAACP, an argument he was using to counter allegations by the civil rights organization of racism in the tea party movement.

"He was willing to destroy me ... in order to try to destroy the NAACP," Sherrod said Thursday. She said she might consider suing Breitbart for defamation.

Breitbart, who has not responded to requests for comment from The Associated Press, offered a narrow correction on his website, BigGovernment.com. He acknowledged that Sherrod's remarks about hesitating to help the white farmer referenced something that took place before she worked for the government. The site had previously said her comments were about her work as a USDA employee.

However, the site has not backed off its claim that Sherrod's remarks were racist and still labels the Sherrod posting with the heading, "Video Proof — The NAACP Rewards Racism."

Sherrod has said she resigned under White House pressure, but Vilsack has said repeatedly the decision was his. In offering his remorse Wednesday, he told reporters: "This is a good woman. She's been through hell. ... I could have done and should have done a better job."

As Obama stayed out of the public fray before the phone call, questions remained about White House involvement in the decision to ask Sherrod to resign. Had there been White House pressure?

"No," insisted Vilsack. He said he made the decision without knowing all the facts and regretted it. "I am accepting the responsibility with deep regret," he told a news conference.

Gibbs, too, has insisted the decision was made at the Agriculture Department. He told reporters that Obama spoke with Vilsack on Wednesday night, but he wouldn't discuss the substance of the conversation. Gibbs said he doesn't see any reason for Vilsack to resign.

___

http://www.startribune.com/politics/99005299.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUZ

Not sure what the deal is with the url.

#44     Jul 22, 2010

5. The fact is someone is lying.
    I contend it's the white house because it makes the most sense.

If not then you are assuming:
    1) sherrod is lying about what she was told as to whom wanted her resignation,
    or
    2) The persons calling sherrod were lying to her about the white house wanting her to resign. (One would think it's a federal crime to state you are representing the chief office of the executive branch).

Vilsack is obviously the patsy and fall guy, besides he has the right color skin for the white house to place the blame upon.

#45     Jul 22, 2010
  6. Mnphats

Mnphats

This entire story is odd to say the least.

I to believe the firing order came from the white house Sherrod apparently thinks so as well. Her comment sure seemed racist to me edited and non-edited version/s. She was involved with a lawsuit that sued the USDA and won 1 billion for black farmers, profited from it then was hired by the USDA. Helped set up a corrupt Community Land Trust for only blacks (racist), Odd.

#46     Jul 23, 2010