'N Sync defense gets murder acquittal for Texas man

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gordon Gekko, Mar 14, 2003.

1. I agree with this ruling. Trouble makers who make threats and start fights deserve what comes to them.

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - A Texas jury acquitted on Wednesday a man who defended himself against a murder charge by saying an assailant threatened to carve up his face because he resembled a member of the boy band 'N Sync (news - web sites).

Richard Brown, 23, testified that he shot Eric Acosta to death at a party in San Antonio, Texas, last year because he feared Acosta, 34, had a knife when he menaced him about looking like 'N Sync member Lance Bass.

"He said, 'I'm going to cut your face up,'" Brown told jurors when he took the stand on Tuesday. "He said 'You won't be pretty for long, and you're never going to be able to get a girl again.'"

Brown, who resembles the pop star and would-be space tourist Bass, said he tried to get away after the two had a fistfight.

He said he went and got a pistol because he feared Acosta had a knife and fired in self-defense after Acosta chased him when the two met again.

"I saw his arm going up and I knew exactly what he was going to do," Brown said. "That's when I raised up the gun and shot."

Prosecutors had rejected Brown's claim, saying he fought Acosta and returned later with the gun to kill him in cold blood.

Brown had faced a sentence of up to 99 years in prison if convicted.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=765&ncid=762&e=11&u=/nm/20030313/people_nm/nsync