Myth #1. Illegal Aliens Take American Jobs.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by walter4, Jul 7, 2010.

1. achilles28

achilles28

Because it's against the law to pay below minimum wage. Nobody likes a paper trail.

What makes you think they don't?

#11     Jul 8, 2010
  2. 1- Cash paid illegals generate local and state revenue through sales tax, gas tax, etc.

2- No. Most have fake ID's

#12     Jul 8, 2010
  3. achilles28

achilles28

Like I said, Americans would have those jobs if illegals didn't. The sales-tax argument is a wash. Either Mexicans or Americans pay the sales tax.

BUT, citizens do pay SS and Federal Tax, so it's a net loss to employ illegals, most of which are paid cash.

Or, are you saying most illegals are registered, pay SS, FED taxes, and get minimum wage?

If so, how is that an argument for letting them in? And how would you know that?

#13     Jul 8, 2010
  4. 1- Agree. Merely clarifying the point you were questioning about whether they pay taxes or not.

2- I don't think that most are paid cash. Some are.

3- Those with fake ID's aren't paid minimum wage. Not huge salaries, but not minimum. Construction framers, for example, would make a decent wage. But they invariably claim 7-9 deductions, even though you know for a fact that they live in an apartment with their brothers, are single, and have no kids. So they don't get much taken out, either.

4- I'm not making that argument. Merely clarifying some misconceptions.

#14     Jul 8, 2010
  5. Ricter

Ricter

You are the one expressing the strong opinion.

#15     Jul 8, 2010
  6. achilles28

achilles28

Fair enough. My point is illegals who do make minimum wage (or better), take those jobs from Americans. If they make under minimum wage, employers wouldn't report lest be investigated by the IRS = no taxes paid. So Americans are getting screwed here on jobs lost, or tax revenue. And from the numbers I've read, most illegals earn subsistence wages so the net impact on social services is huge.

#16     Jul 8, 2010