MySpace, Facebook losing popularity......

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Mar 4, 2008.

1. My favorite author is Joyce, and his main theme is cycles. Every innovation results in media hype of new economies, the new world order, etc. etc. There is no drastic shifts in human behavior, more an evolutionary phenomenon than tectonic changes. Hydro is right, and makes an excellent point on user base. That is the only reason I've used Facebook or Myspace ever.

This is where 21st century traders need to think in terms of cycles, and value. Facebook has many free subscribers, and advertising revenue that is completely dependent upon public site use and advertisor interest. Web advertisements seem rather ineffective if the stats on this board are true. Can these users be leveraged into dollars - that is the question.

Anyone who justifies anywhere near the lofty valuation of this site please provide some examples of how they can make money absent ad dollars please. I am truly interested.

By the way, this is no Google. Google and search query tools are redefining organization. Also, Google owns intellectual property, the algorithm, that alone may justify its current valuation.

#51     Mar 26, 2008
  2. LOL, don't take it out on me just because you can't get a date on myspace. Only guidos from jersey can do it successfully lmfao. :p

Wait, people actually take you seriously?

#52     Mar 26, 2008
  3. If you try to use Facebook to get laid, something is seriously wrong with you. Unless you are college-aged, which is like 1% of you, you wouldn't understand why and how Facebook works.

It's actually the other way around. You come across some hot slut's profile who seems familiar. You can't remember where you remember her from. But oh wait, in her mini-feed it said she attended the same house party you were at last weekend. Gasp...you hooked up with her! Holy shit! Questions arise: do you poke her, friend request, send a message? Poking is gay, you'll just wait it out. This is more awkward than a face to face confrontation believe it or not.

Oh shit, an e-mail message from Facebook...a notification that she actually friend requested you! Now things really get interesting. Her limited profile gives you access to some pics. Damn, not bad. She likes "The Office", loves college football, and is a member of Tri-Delt. Uh-oh. You decide to accept her friend request anyway. You continue to look at her profile...oh shit she has a boyfriend, wtf!?! Maybe it's just one of those fake relationships, maybe not. You get a message from her right after you confirm being friends. It starts out "hey, i wasn't sure if we used a condom or not..." you stop reading. Now you're in really deep shit. You then block her profile from seeing yours, delete the friend confirmation in your mini-feed then hope that you never see her again.

I don't want to bore you with other typical stories but as you can tell, I've spent a lot of time on facebook and with other people who use facebook. Just one of the many scenarios that will keep it alive for quite some time especially in the 18-25 demographic. "Parents just don't understand." Myspace is a different story, a lot of whores on that site.

#53     Mar 26, 2008
  4. Bootsie

Bootsie

That's awesome !!

Not to mention... a lot of ex-girlfriends 'poking' you. Wives, for the most part, don't look too highly upon "that sort of behavior"...

:D

#54     Mar 26, 2008
  5. Quick question - will the next demographic be interested in this or the next facebook? When you are 18-25 career's are infantile, when you start earning will you want to broadcast your social circle to all clients or employers?

Myspace lost market share since Facebook took off? Any thoughts on linkedin? Social Networking?

#55     Mar 26, 2008
  6. bellman

bellman

But initially the fact that you had to have a college e-mail addy even to join meant that everyone was verified to be a real person, and what's more they were young and smart people with huge time budgets for social activities.

i would have taken the money too(can't disagree with that), but in an ideal world facebook could have been managed differently.

#56     Mar 26, 2008
  7. No doubt. I was among the outraged when they started letting high schoolers in.

#57     Mar 26, 2008
  8. kiwi777

kiwi777

@billomalley

Now we have LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.

Plus, Foursquare just entered the space.

#58     Jul 3, 2010
  9. I am sure he is pleased that you answered the question 25 months later...

#59     Jul 3, 2010
  10. kiwi777

kiwi777

@QuikrRetirement

The situation in the social networking space started to change exactly at the time when this thread slipped into obscurity. Who knows maybe there's next Zuckerberg or Dorsey around us.

#60     Jul 5, 2010